Whose planning on apply for the Elk permit in TN ?

Buzzard Breath

JIMMYJAMES said:
how many of you posters have seen a elk in tn ??
Here's two
DSC_1007.jpg

Locksley

Football Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Wilson Co

According to todays Tennessean there will be 5 permits drawn for TN First elk hunt in October.Applications to be taken April 1 through May 31.Hunt to be October 19-23.Any other details Big Game Guy?Im in for sure,sounds like fun.Who else is gonna put in?

Edited by Football Hunter (Today at 09:48 AM)

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

#1176477 - 37 minutes 13 seconds ago Re: ELK HUNT! [Re: Football Hunter]
BigGameGuy BigGameGuy
TWRA Big Game Coordinator
10 Point

Loc: Nashville

What do you want to know?

Locksley

BigGameGuy said:
StruttinTom said:
Is this a gun hunt or archery hunt? What size limit is on the bulls?

It's gun-muzzleloader-archery...whichever you prefer.

Any antlered bull is legal.

FYI - Our original plan was to release 400 animals but due to outside forces we were only able to release 167 animals the first few years. Considering we're up to about 300 animals the herd has probably grown more than actually expected. We are also confident the WMA can sustain a much higher number of elk.

All I can say to the genral public is be careful who you get your information from.

Locksley said:
Football Hunter said:
Football Hunter said:
Where else would they put them in TN beside Royal Blue?
Again I ask!

Now you-all know where they tried to put the Elk first . It was in the TN part of Land-Between-The-Lake and the Elk haters managed to get the farmers to stop that and put us back 5 years in our Elk stocking .

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... t&Board=18

Model70Man said:
4onaside said:
Thank you TWRA for your efforts to afford as many hunting opportunities as possible for the hunters and wildlife enthusists of Tennessee. Unfortunately, you will always have critics who think they know more than the biologists about almost everything. However, they are but a tiny minority. I would hope that we could have just a fraction of the success that our neighbors just over the line to the North have experienced. I believe that the Kentucky quota this year will be 1,000 hunters, up from 400, plus a 50 tag late season add on this past season.

Couldn't have said it better. Ditto that.

I hope I'm one that gets drawn.

Locksley said:
captain hook said:
Locksley said:
captain hook said:
bsl said:
Hey BGG why are we having this elk hunt?we don't have many more than when they released them so I cant see opening up a season yet.i know it will make news and make hunters happy but to me it's not good for the herd.i may be wrong BGG but I believe we only have 50 or so more elk than when they stopped stocking.if we had opened season the year we stocked them people would have been upset.Tn. is going to open season now and people think it is great.the elk have not spread like people hoped so i can't see opening up the season now.it seems like they need to do it to justify all the effort.with that said I believe you guys did a great job getting elk back here i just hate to see us jump the gun on the season because some people are pushing for it to show results.

The herd is only going to shrink. There is (I think) 180 animals left or estimated around that number. I saw 2 monster bulls this afternoon, and they looked healthy.

I think it is past time to start killing them off, the project is not working, the habitat where they were put is not good elk habitat, and there is rumblings of anger from the way the whole thing has gone.

They are destroying parts of Royal Blue and Sundquist, literally destroying the place. They are defoliating rhododendron and laurel patches faster then anything imaginable, and have wiped out most of the honey suckle which was around. I wonder what negative impact they are having to our deer herd?

It is time to lay the hammer down, and slowly get rid of them until a better plan is in place to reintroduce them in suitable habitat.

I am all for this hunt, and am happy to see TWRA making it fair, and allowing for it to happen.

Yep an Elk hater to. It is a miracle the hunters of Tennessee and TWRA could manage the Deer restoration here. I think things are ok and will get better for the Deer and Elk herds in Tennessee.

What are you talking about?

I was all in favor of the Elk Project at the outset, and think they are neat animals. I just think the project was poorly thought out. The animals were stocked in horrible habitat and not enough of them were stocked to maintain or grow the herd.

Have you ever been to where they are? Have you seen what they have done to the areas where they frequent? My guess is no.

I am not an Elk hater, I just wish things had been done with better planning. I am ecstatic that they are coming through on their promise to allow hunting this year.

BigGameGuy said:
StruttinTom said:
Is this a gun hunt or archery hunt? What size limit is on the bulls?

It's gun-muzzleloader-archery...whichever you prefer.

Any antlered bull is legal.

FYI - Our original plan was to release 400 animals but due to outside forces we were only able to release 167 animals the first few years. Considering we're up to about 300 animals the herd has probablyy grown more than actually expected. We are also confident the WMA can sustain a much higher number of elk.

All I can say to the genral public is be careful who you get your information from.

Well I am glad you are an expert on Elk Mr HOOK but I get my information from the TWRA and they have the degrees and the know how to establish Elk here. If it were not for a bunch of Elk haters a few years ago we would have had a lot more Elk stocked. There are those in TN that for profit or just to throw a monkey wrench into a good project tried to destroy our Elk herd and stop all stocking in TN. You may have missed all this or you could be Autry back to stir the pot, doesn:t matter the Elk are here and more will walk here from KY and some of ours will walk to KY. The Elk migrate about you see . Heck Land-Between --The -Lakes in KY might have some more Elk for us to stock soon also they have passed the tests.
Locksley

We will have plenty of Elk some day soon, there are lots of WMA:s in TN.

Locksley

Locksley said:
buzz mcmanus said:
I've spent quite a bit of time in the elk restoration area. I can't say that I noticed where the elk have destroyed the deer habitat. But, I'm not there looking for that, it may or may not have been right in front of my eyes. What amazed me is how much of the area has been destoyed by 4-wheelers. I can't believe how much they let these guys tear the area up. Before they worry about the elk destroying habitat, they need to take a real close look at the 4-wheeling crowd.

captain hook said:
Locksley said:
Well I am glad you are an expert on Elk Mr HOOK but I get my information from the TWRA and they have the degrees and the know how to establish Elk here. If it were not for a bunch of Elk haters a few yyears ago we would have had a lot more Elk stocked. There are those in TN that for profit or just to throw a monkey wrench into a good project tried to destroy our Elk herd and stop all stocking in TN. You may have missed all this or you could be Autry back to stir the pot, doesn:t matter the Elk are here and more will walk here from KY and some of ours will walk to KY. The Elk migrate about you see . Heck Land-Between --The -Lakes in KY might have some more Elk for us to stock soon also they have passed the tests.
Locksley

I ask again, have you ever ventured to where the Elk have been stocked here in TN?

Have you ever been to where they are in KY?

Big difference in the two.

I am far from being an Elk Hater, and you are painting with a very broad brush.

Come visit the elk resoration area here, and then you can provide first insight as to whether the habitat is conducive for the ROCKY MOUNTAIN elk to flourish. It certainly doesn't look anything like the habitat they prefer out west, and doesn't look like where they are flourishing in KY.

I am far from an expert, but can observe and surmise the differences.

I hope they do fine, but also hope it doesn't negatively impact our deer herds, turkey populations, or other native species. If it doesn't then more power to them.

Captain Hook are you sure it is the Elk causing all this damage on the WMA?? We want pictures of this destruction so we can see too, this assumption is no good without pictures. So post us some pictures ok.

bowriter said:
But Capt. how then, do you explain the fact that elk were originally plains animals and flourished in the eastern woodlands, still do in PA and still today do extremely well in prairie areas.

Yes, when in competition with deer, sure they can have a negative impact-probably not as great as hogs do but all wildlife competes for food sources in one way or another. Rocky Mountain elk, Roosevelt elk Tulie elk and all the subspecies can survive quite well in almost any habitat if the food source is sufficient. The problem arises when it isn't. Elk can travel like a sumbuck. And just as it is with deer, they travel just as far as they have to to find food. If you want to see a poorly managed lek population, go to Yellowstone.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost1183668

So what is the picture wait and see .

Latest posts