White River suggestions/advice

Arrowslanger

I know I've read on here ruger and Woodward taking some trips out there. I've never been myself, mainly tailwater fisherman here in middle TN. Just looking for thoughts and suggestions if we should focus any certain shoals or sections. We are taking the trip mid March, looks like river is constantly in changing levels based on generation demand. We will be staying around rim shoals and will likely be dragging a small motor Jon boat with us. May do a guide on first day just help learn the river a little better. I personally would love to wade fish some. Most will be spin fishing, but I plan to bring my fly gear. Very much welcome eating suggestions or other must do/check out places or things to do would be great as well.

woodyard

I have never fished the Rim Shoals section, so can't help much there. It is one of the big wade areas when the generation is low or off.

I have fished from below Cotter to the Bull Shoals dam with the exception of Wildcat shoals, I have never gone through the roughest of it. Also have fished from below Allison to nearly to Buffalo City, so covered a lot of river miles.
It will all depend on the amount of water they are releasing at the time. That time of year usually means plenty of generation If the big winter rains continue. Really hasn't been that much wade opportunities in the last 2-3 years but it all depends on the lake levels.

Go to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commision website and sign up for the weekly fishing report. You can get the report for the White from 2-3 docks/ guide which will probably put you close on the baits , colors etc for anywhere along the White at the time.

Also go to the swpa.gov website for generation schedules.

Also with your own boat just go slow until you get familiar with a section and pay attention to how other boaters are going in high or especially low water. Usually a lot more guides up in the area from Norfork to the dam. Not nearly as many down around Calico Rock area.

Check all the regulations. I have been checked many more times over there than in TN. Of course an out of state boat may trigger a lot more checking out.

One thing I have always said and it pretty much has happened. If you go for three-four days , nearly always you will have one really good day numbers wise out of those or all three days might be really good.

Arrowslanger

I have never fished the Rim Shoals section, so can't help much there. It is one of the big wade areas when the generation is low or off.

I have fished from below Cotter to the Bull Shoals dam with the exception of Wildcat shoals, I have never gone through the roughest of it. Also have fished from below Allison to nearly to Buffalo City, so covered a lot of river miles.
It will all depend on the amount of water they are releasing at the time. That time of year usually means plenty of generation If the big winter rains continue. Really hasn't been that much wade opportunities in the last 2-3 years but it all depends on the lake levels.

Go to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commision website and sign up for the weekly fishing report. You can get the report for the White from 2-3 docks/ guide which will probably put you close on the baits , colors etc for anywhere along the White at the time.

Also go to the swpa.gov website for generation schedules.

Also with your own boat just go slow until you get familiar with a section and pay attention to how other boaters are going in high or especially low water. Usually a lot more guides up in the area from Norfork to the dam. Not nearly as many down around Calico Rock area.

Check all the regulations. I have been checked many more times over there than in TN. Of course an out of state boat may trigger a lot more checking out.

One thing I have always said and it pretty much has happened. If you go for three-four days , nearly always you will have one really good day numbers wise out of those or all three days might be really good.
This is great information! I have been perusing the fishing reports that some resorts and guides put out also. Looks like your just a slave to the generation schedule as far as wading goes. And yes boat regs are different than here, the grandfather age for operator is different which would trigger us to do the course (hopefully online). I'm really looking forward to the trip and hope to make the most of our time there, that's why I come here to ask the experts. Thanks for the reply

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
You definitely got the advice of an expert
I ride with him catch fish and cook supper.
That's pretty much it lol

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Not sure about up close to the dam but there is a reason we cook at calico rock
Very few other options lol

woodyard

Mountain Home will have some of the chain restaurants and of course fast food. Coltens Steak House is a chain ,but I always thought pretty good. I can't think of any independents there now. The only one I really liked closed up several years ago.

Bull Shoals had a place close to one of the boat dealers that was pretty good, but don't know if still there. Probably get some recommendations from your guide or place you are staying at.

moondawg

If you go wading early in the morning just below Bull Shoals Dam….
When the alarm SOUNDS!!! Head for high ground! 👀 lol

Don't ask me how I know…🥴
That's a good area. And you are correct about heading for high ground when the horn sounds!

moondawg

Bull Shoals dam is a good place to wade. I'll also suggest the Norfork dam tailwater, that's a good place to wade. Both the White River and Norfork dam are subject to dam generation. If they are generating, wade fishing might be a bit tough.

Crooked Creek, however, is NOT subjected to generation. However, the water can be very shallow at times. It's still worth checking out.

Smo

Take waders too….

That water gets cold, especially if it's about pocket deep on your blue jean cutoffs at 07:00 in the morning….
I couldn't wait for the alarm too sound! 😅

Arrowslanger

I've been meaning to update the thread for a while, saw the other post with the giant brown and we were out on that day too. Y'all probably remember the mid March frigid temps and snow. It was pretty brutal conditions, didn't boat any toads but once we got the hang of it we did catch several. I'm going to have to go back, by the third day I felt we kinda had a better feel of the drifting and playing with weight to increase odds of getting bit. A few pics of the trip, fishing in deer gear, cool old bridge in cotter, and a great sunset. We had a blast!
F76071D5-A2B4-411D-9C7C-71045524853B.png
A05FE68A-02C8-4DDC-B603-B9F4C15D46C1.png
58FED574-DF4D-4AD0-9E54-35C18A946A0C.png
0672987C-17A5-46D0-B1F8-ECB1EBFF3876.png

Latest posts