Which vanes should I try?

bobthebowhunter

Fixin to make up some arrows. I need to order glue and thought I might go ahead and experiment with some new vanes. I'm a short vane kinda guy. I liked the blazers til they started popping off. for the last few years I've used duravan 3ds 2.3" and the 2" predator vanes.

I've quit keeping up with the latest and graetest, so I could use some suggestions.

BTW the set up is a bowtech allegiance 53lbs/28", shooting a Trophy Taker drop away. I have Gold Tip xthunters 5575.

What would yall suggest.

Thanks

scn

If you don't mind the "different" look, give the Starrflight FOBs a try. I haven't found any vanes that work as well as they do, and you forgo the fletching jobs.

My second choice are the short Quickspins.

TNDeerGuy

I would stick with the Blazers�they are still the all-around best out there. I haven't had any problems with the arrows/blazers popping off that I have done, and the ones that I have seen have been the result of installation errors. What kind of glue have you been using and are you scratching the surface with a scrub pad and cleaning with acetone? I have been using Loctite Gel and can't pull the Blazers off�even with needlenose pliers they don't come off, instead they just rip. Since I have been cresting arrows, I have had to switch to Gorilla Impact Formula glue due to some adhesion problems between the paint and the Loctite for some reason and I like that one too. I would skip the fletching glues and use a much cheaper, and you get more, glue like Loctite or Gorilla.

GOODWIN

TNDeerGuy said:
I would stick with the Blazers�they are still the all-around best out there. I haven't had any problems with the arrows/blazers popping off that I have done, and the ones that I have seen have been the result of installation errors. What kind of glue have you been using and are you scratching the surface with a scrub pad and cleaning with acetone? I have been using Loctite Gel and can't pull the Blazers off�even with needlenose pliers they don't come off, instead they just rip. Since I have been cresting arrows, I have had to switch to Gorilla Impact Formula glue due to some adhesion problems between the paint and the Loctite for some reason and I like that one too. I would skip the fletching glues and use a much cheaper, and you get more, glue like Loctite or Gorilla.

I've had problems with my last vanes coming off. Once I get the old glue off I've roughed up with steel wool then use finger nail polish to clean. then I used loctite gel. Now these were quickspin vanes. Should I be cleaning the glued surface of the vanes as well? Seems like the bond broke at the vane surface but the glue stays on my arrow shaft.

bobthebowhunter

GOODWIN said:
TNDeerGuy said:

I've had problems with my last vanes coming off. Once I get the old glue off I've roughed up with steel wool then use finger nail polish to clean. then I used loctite gel. Now these were quickspin vanes. Should I be cleaning the glued surface of the vanes as well? Seems like the bond broke at the vane surface but the glue stays on my arrow shaft.

I strip as much as possible, then a very very light sanding...often use steel wool as mentioned above. Then I wipe down with denatured alcohol. I've had the best luck with goat tuff, but have also used the loctite gel. I don't think my installation caused the issue with the blazers.

After issues with the blazers I was told by the manufacturer that there were several "bad batches" that went out. Something about the vane wouldn't adhere to the glue. Whatever. Not that I'll never use them again, just got turned on to other things when the bad batches rolled through.

I have since discovered the duravave predators. They are much like the blazers, but a little lower profile. The blazers had a tenancy to hit my cable if my nock wasn't turned exactly right. Anyway I appreciate the input. I'm just looking to play around with something I haven't used. Before hunting season I'll likely revert back to the duravanes, unless I find something else that i really like.

bobthebowhunter

I've tried the fusion vanes. They slowed me down quite a bit, but what about the zeon fusion vanes. They look cool as he!! Anybody play around with those?

TNDeerGuy

bobthebowhunter said:
GOODWIN said:
TNDeerGuy said:

I strip as much as possible, then a very very light sanding...often use steel wool as mentioned above. Then I wipe down with denatured alcohol. I've had the best luck with goat tuff, but have also used the loctite gel. I don't think my installation caused the issue with the blazers.

After issues with the blazers I was told by the manufacturer that there were several "bad batches" that went out. Something about the vane wouldn't adhere to the glue. Whatever. Not that I'll never use them again, just got turned on to other things when the bad batches rolled through.

I have since discovered the duravave predators. They are much like the blazers, but a little lower profile. The blazers had a tenancy to hit my cable if my nock wasn't turned exactly right. Anyway I appreciate the input. I'm just looking to play around with something I haven't used. Before hunting season I'll likely revert back to the duravanes, unless I find something else that i really like.

I highly recommend NOT using anything but acetone�every alcohol, denatured and isopropyl leaves residue behind. I use a paper towel that has been dipped in acetone and then wipe the arrow. I also use a Q-Tip dipped in acetone to lightly run down the base of the vane on the Blazers to remove the adhesion activator prep they apply at the factory. Try that and see how that works out for you.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I like blazer vanes and goat tuff glue with alittle cleaning like said above i shoot 5 days a week with many pass thrues and my vains stay on for a long time

bobthebowhunter

TNDeerGuy said:
bobthebowhunter said:
GOODWIN said:
TNDeerGuy said:

I highly recommend NOT using anything but acetone�every alcohol, denatured and isopropyl leaves residue behind. I use a paper towel that has been dipped in acetone and then wipe the arrow. I also use a Q-Tip dipped in acetone to lightly run down the base of the vane on the Blazers to remove the adhesion activator prep they apply at the factory. Try that and see how that works out for you.

I think we've gotten off track. I don't really have issues with my vanes or the installation. I've used denatured alcohol for years and don't have any issues. The only issues I've had were with one pack of blazers but I was told the vanes were defective some how. I was just asking what new vanes were out there to experiment with. I do appreciate the info though!

TNDeerGuy

bobthebowhunter said:
TNDeerGuy said:
bobthebowhunter said:
GOODWIN said:
TNDeerGuy said:

I think we've gotten off track. I don't really have issues with my vanes or the installation. I've used denatured alcohol for years and don't have any issues. The only issues I've had were with one pack of blazers but I was told the vanes were defective some how. I was just asking what new vanes were out there to experiment with. I do appreciate the info though!

Sorry about that, it appeared to me that you really wanted to use the Blazers but were worried about them coming off like in the past�my mistake. I really can't comment on anything other than the Blazers, Quickspins and the FOBs. The Quickspins were significantly louder than the Blazers to me and the FOBs just didn't fly as well. Here is a link to a guy that does alot of comparison testing on a bunch of different fletchings >>>>>> http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fletch ... peed-drop/ <<<< from that page you can get to various other links that goes alot more in depth in fletchings and every thing else archery related. Warning��this guy is a real techie and a real archery gadget guy, not to mention a great writer and fair in his testing. I hope you find this information better than the path I mistakingly was going down originally. Once again, sorry. :)

bobthebowhunter

TNDeerGuy said:
bobthebowhunter said:
TNDeerGuy said:
bobthebowhunter said:
GOODWIN said:
TNDeerGuy said:

Sorry about that, it appeared to me that you really wanted to use the Blazers but were worried about them coming off like in the past�my mistake. I really can't comment on anything other than the Blazers, Quickspins and the FOBs. The Quickspins were significantly louder than the Blazers to me and the FOBs just didn't fly as well. Here is a link to a guy that does alot of comparison testing on a bunch of different fletchings >>>>>> http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fletch ... peed-drop/ <<<< from that page you can get to various other links that goes alot more in depth in fletchings and every thing else archery related. Warning��this guy is a real techie and a real archery gadget guy, not to mention a great writer and fair in his testing. I hope you find this information better than the path I mistakingly was going down originally. Once again, sorry. :)

Ah no worries man. I appreciate your effort in helping me out. I'll check out that link you posted! I tried quick spins at one point as well. I liked them, but your right they were pretty loud getting to the target.

Carnage

Just put on a batch of Zeon Fusions last month. They fly good, look a little strange though. I went with the pink. They're basically transparent with a hint of color and If you leave them in the sun, they fade badly.

bobthebowhunter

Carnage said:
Just put on a batch of Zeon Fusions last month. They fly good, look a little strange though. I went with the pink. They're basically transparent with a hint of color and If you leave them in the sun, they fade badly.

Interesting. Thanks

Toxophilite Phil

Bob..... I like the Fusion vanes myself. I tried the Zeons last year for hunting and to be truthful I was quite disappointed in them. They didn't "glow" like they claimed to. I can see my arrow just as good with orange, white or yellow with either a bright orange or flo. green nock as I could these vanes. I to had bad luck with some Blazers coming unglued and thus my trying Fusions. I also like Easton Diamond vanes but haven't shot them in years and the AAE 2.3's. The weight the extra weight of the vane causes can be offset with a slight increase in arrow length to compensate for the change in the FOC. I have been using 4 fletch Fusion vanes for a couple of years now and I acrually saw an increase ofarrow speed when i done this. Has to be due to quicker arrow stabilization out of the bow.

Latest posts