Which unit for Wyoming antelope?

megalomaniac

I think I'm going to burn my points in Wyoming next year. I'm not necessarily looking for the best trophy units (60, 61, etc), but at a unit with a fair amount of BLM/ public land (although I don't mind paying a tresspass fee), but without an insane number of hunters (like 47... seems they release over a thousand tags).

The hunt will be DIY with a rifle, might even prefer to hunt the eastern portion of the state as I should have a tag for SD next year as well and might go ahead and combine 2 goat hunts into one trip. Oh, I've got one less PP than the max.

Any suggestions on which units I should start looking at, ordering BLM maps (are they pretty good at delineating property lines?), etc?

Thanks!

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I don't remember the unit, but I hunted the area near the town of Lusk. There were antelope everywhere. It is in the eastern part of the state.

megalomaniac

Any info out there on unit 64? Looks like pretty good trophy potential, while the entire unit is mostly public land. Not too many tags, again which improves odds for a 15" goat. Looks like I've got a darn good chance of drawing this unit with 3 points as well, especially when applying for the 'special' license...

TCL

Cant help you...but I plan on going out there next year. Once I find out for sure if we are going for work I will start looking into it.

Do you mind sharing your info on applying for tags and preperation? I want to hunt September.

megalomaniac

TCL said:
Do you mind sharing your info on applying for tags and preperation? I want to hunt September.

Sure...

first piece of advice is buy a point NOW. You can buy points for $30 until the end of September. Go to Wyoming Game and Fish website and follow links, you can use credit card. Going into next years draw with 1 point really improves your odds on some decent units.

If you want a fun hunt with tons of antelope, tons of public land, it's hard to beat 47 or 32. There isn't a great chance for a trophy, but most of the unit is public land and the goat population is very high. Almost 100% draw odds with 1 PP.

I'm sure there are great ranches out there where you can hunt for a tresspass fee in units requiring 0 points, but personally, I'd rather do it all on my own on public land, which means you'll need at least a point to draw a decent unit.

Next (and this is where I'm at) is download the drawing odds and look for units where a lot of people applied (those are the best units). The very best units will take 4 points to draw next year (the max), but there's some great units that will draw with 2 or 3 points, and some pretty good units that will draw with 1 point. Find a unit that has a fair number of applicants, yet still a decent chance of drawing with 1 point (like 47). Then order the BLM maps for the unit (cheap $4 IIRC). Look it over and if it is appealing, plan on applying for that unit next spring. If not, look for another unit and get those maps as well.

Once you draw the unit, it's time to really get down to business. I'd suggest unit maps from mytopo.com ($35 or so) which go down to 1:25,000 IIRC. Start looking for all the good access roads and memorize them. Call the local BLM manager and local WO and ask them for hotspots. Find areas you can walk in off roads for around a mile to get away from other hunters and the quality of the goats will improve significantly. The majority of antelope hunters are weekend warriors who scout and hunt from the roads.

Mike Eastman has a pretty good book out on 'hunting trophy antelope DIY'. It's worth the $30.

BTW, I've never hunted antelope (except for does around 20 years ago), just started really researching it recently after getting enough points built up to have a reasonable draw on a great unit. I'm not looking for a book goat, but one in the mid to upper 70's for the wall.

Latest posts