Which Summit model?

dsa5455

I am 279 lbs. about 5' 11" and soon to be 59. I am looking at the Viper SD, 180 Max SD, Goliath SD and the Titan SD. I like the Viper because of price and its lighter than the others but will it be wide enough for me to feel like I can stand up when needed without getting hung up at the hips or my knees pressing against the rail. The Goliath has a bigger top but not sure if having the smaller platform would create an issue. It's a little heavier but not to much. The Titan offers the bigger top and platform but starting to get into some weight. The 180 Max is appealing because of being able to face the tree. It also is a pretty heavy stand. I normally don't have to walk more than 200-300 yards to a hunting spot and sometimes less. I have some hang-on stands that I use also. My stand of choice has been the Lone Wolf hand climber for many years but a recent shoulder surgery and a good size belly makes it difficult to climb with ease using this stand. I think a sit down climber will benefit my climb up and down the tree. I know the summit line is very popular with hunters on this sight so I'm hoping to hear some input from your experiences. I'm sure some will say why don't you just get into shape and lose that belly. Well, I was until age 55 and then for varying reasons put on about 80 plus pounds but that's a different story for a different forum. I know there are some things that may not be clear about my particular situation but hope that you can share why you picked your model and would you make a change if given a second chance.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I used the Goliath last year after using a Gorilla for several. I absolutely love the Goliath. Plenty of space, easy to climb with and very sturdy. I added a side bag on each end so I wouldn't have to move as much when needing something out of my pack which hangs from the tree. Good luck. Oh, by the way...I bought it from Gator n Buck, easy to deal with.

dsa5455

Thanks for the input everyone. Decided on the Titan over the Goliath mainly because of the larger platform. The Titan and the 180 max were a toss up. Actually had my finger on the order button for the 180 the night before. After an extra day of thought decided on the Titan. I'm sure I will be happy with my choice. Also, thanks for the plug to check out gator n buck. Saved me some money and he got it on the UPS truck quickly. Easy to deal with. Thanks

grolfesst

i had the goliath. i just up graded last week after 8 or so years i got the titan the extra 3 bounds are negligable but the stand is noticeable larger while sitting and standing in it. can't go worn with either. however with your height and weight i don't know if i would even look at the viper its much smaller. also not sure if i would trust the viper i think the weight capacity is 300 thats gear and all. i know my pack with everything weights at least 15 lbs more when its colder outside. id feel more comfortable if i were in a bigger climber. I'm 6'1 233 last year 260.

Yotekiller011

Well, Its a toss up. But at least you thinking the right brand. For a big guy I'd probably go with the Titan SD its the biggest and you'll have plenty of room and feel safe.. I've got all three and love em all for different reasons. 180 is good for facing the tree but if you dont position the seat right it can be a pain bow hunting. For me Titan or Goliath will work. Check with Bruce "Gator In Rut" Ha Ha and he'll set ya up.

Tar12

I did not care for the Goliath at all. I am a big boy and thought it was to BIG.Did not care for the way it climbed or adjusted. I just could not bring myself to like it and moved it down the road. I will stick with my APIs...although heavier...much more comfortable.

Latest posts