which brass and why

Nsghunter

I was looking at handloading components today for my 7mm -08 ( I dont have anyrhing yet, not even the dies)and I realized I don't know anything about brass brands.

I found Lapua for $1.15 per piece and Hornady for around $0.80 shipped.

The Lapua is 100 rounds though.

All the brass I have for my other calibers is either once fired, given to me, or scavenged.

What type and why do you load it?

The loads will be initially lighter loads for teaching my son to shoot and deer hunting 100-300 yards.

Jcalder

Personally, I would never buy new hornady brass and I wouldn't give a big price for once fired either. I've used win, rem, and federal without any issue. I'm gonna guess that the lapua brass is very detailed and consistent vs the others.

As much 308 brass that is out there I would probably make my own 7-08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nsghunter

Jcalder":3jc1lgc5 said:
Personally, I would never buy new hornady brass and I wouldn't give a big price for once fired either. I've used win, rem, and federal without any issue. I'm gonna guess that the lapua brass is very detailed and consistent vs the others.

Showing my ignorance here but, can I just throw .308 brass into a 7mm -08 dye?

TraumaSlave

Unless you're shooting rifle matches, there is no need for Lapua. General all purpose shooting can be done with Win or REM. No need to spend the extra $$$. Lapua has near exact tolerances for their brass that is required for precision shooting.

Jcalder

Nsghunter":2qnkngal said:
Jcalder":2qnkngal said:

Showing my ignorance here but, can I just throw .308 brass into a 7mm -08 dye?
yes. Make sure it's lubed good. In a custom barrel you might have to neck turn but it shouldn't be an issue with a mass produced rifle. Your shoulders may look a little off but they'll fire form. Depending on trim length they may be short. When I first got a 243 I used some oddball 308 brass. Brass was short and neck tension was tight. But everything worked

mr.big

Hornady would be my last choice,,,I would rather have Win or Rem as Hornady but the Lapua will last long enough to over pay for itself,,100 pieces of Lapua brass should just about wear out the gun,,

GOODWIN

I've found privi brass to be about the same quality as Hornady and Win brass and cheaper. I've had no problem getting consistent sub-moa with it and if that's your goal id recommend it. If you want the best step it up to Lapau, nosler, norma

mr.big

Lapua 260 and 7-08 brass are both 95.84 a box at powdervalley,,the 308 is 20$ cheaper if you want to save 20$ by necking the 308 down to 7mm

Hardwoodmaterials

I use Nosler and Remington brass mostly. If your not in a hurry you can watch SPS you can pick the cosmetic blemished Nosler brass up for about 1/2 price.

Urban_Hunter

I'm mixed on the PRVI. I got some for my 308 in a pinch and it is Lapua quality. I mean it, I have all brands in 308. It shines like a mirror, almost perfect concentricity, extremely consistent primer pockets and flash holes. I liked it so much I ordered 50pcs in 7 rem mag. It is so bad I will probably end up tossing over half of it. Not even close to consistent OAL. So many divots in the case neck I can't get them chamfered and deburred without driving the OAL below minimum spec. Primer pockets... one requires two hands to seat and the next one falls out. Wonder if I can return them....

Nsghunter

Urban_Hunter":2z9171w2 said:
I'm mixed on the PRVI. I got some for my 308 in a pinch and it is Lapua quality. I mean it, I have all brands in 308. It shines like a mirror, almost perfect concentricity, extremely consistent primer pockets and flash holes. I liked it so much I ordered 50pcs in 7 rem mag. It is so bad I will probably end up tossing over half of it. Not even close to consistent OAL. So many divots in the case neck I can't get them chamfered and deburred without driving the OAL below minimum spec. Primer pockets... one requires two hands to seat and the next one falls out. Wonder if I can return them....

Gah! I hope my experience is better than this...

Snowwolfe

Used Privi brass and bullets when I owned a couple of 9,3x62's. No complaints with either the brass of bullets. I have used pretty much all brands during my lifetime and the only two that stuck out as having issues were Hornady .308 match brass and Norma 9,3x74R. Which is sort of weird as I used Hornady brass in other calibers with good results.

Hozzie

Lapua is well worth it. Basically there is no prep needed. Pull it out and load it. Everything else you have to spend a lot of time prepping. I guess it depends what your time is worth. I like loading, I don't like prepping.

Latest posts