When to take the safety off?

megalomaniac

My gun is up and at the ready as soon as I even think I have a bird committed and coming to my calling. Because of that, I don't take off the safety until right before I actually shoot. I also recheck the safety every single time I reposition in the woods, right before I unload the gun at the truck, and again (and confirm it's unloaded the 2nd time) before I bring it in the house. Basically the exact same things I do with a highpower centerfire rifle.

I've only had one spook to the click of the safety coming off... but when he popped out from behind a 200 year old oak tree, he was only 7 yards away.

When he is visible/identified and in range or appears to be committed. I have to admit that when i started hunting i took the safety off on sound, until i had the cross hairs on a non-orange wearing deer hunter, made me change my ways. He never saw me.

Madbowh

Finger on each side of the safety to ease it off learned that on my very first deer he busted me still got him though. Once I confirm deer turkey coyote or whatever I'm after safety is off. Even if just a hen pops out I get somewhat ready and safety is off. Even though Im not shooting that hen or doe they might get to close for switching safety if something worth shooting steps out

Boll Weevil

Not til I'm about to shoot. Top/tang safety and can ease it off/on real quiet. Long or short barrel selector makes a little bit more of a click though so as soon as I know if he's gonna be real close or further I go ahead and select my barrel.

Levee Jumper

I normally keep my gun layed across my lap until he gets within easy shooting range. Safety goes off when the gun goes up. I absolutely hate sitting with a gun on my knee and a gobbler looking for me (the hen) at 100 yards. If some terrain is involved I normally get it up prior but safety remains on.

Latest posts