when to start

catman529

broccoli is a cool weather crop and they say to start it before last frost, around the same time you would start tomatoes. That means starting it indoors in a south-facing window, or even better, a 4 foot fluorescent shop light. I have 3 shop lights just for tomatoes, peppers and other early starts (one of the fixtures is shot and I need a new one). I start anywhere from mid February to very early March indoors and start hardening off after the last expected frost. Hardening off gradually just for a week or so will get them adjusted to the outdoors.

blueridge

I think this pertains to this.I planted cauliflower,broccoli,and cabbage in late April.None of these ever produced the cauliflower were small and no heads.The broccoli were huge with tiny heads and the cabbage were of decent size but extremely loose heads.Is this because of late planting?

catman529

Blueridge I think it is because of the late planting, they say to start broccoli (and I imagine cauliflower as well) 6 to 8 weeks before last frost (which is usually mid-april) so get them started mid to late february by a south-facing window or under fluorescent shop lights. The thing is that broccoli and similar brassicas are colder weather crops if I am not mistaken, so getting them started early lets them grow before the TN summer heat kicks in.