When to start tomatoes in greenhouse?

cathunter

I'm wanting to grow tomatoes in a small greenhouse. The green house being a raised bed covered with hoop frame with plastic and some heat . Will the ground temp be a concern?

MickThompson

cathunter":33glzg26 said:
I'm wanting to grow tomatoes in a small greenhouse. The green house being a raised bed covered with hoop frame with plastic and some heat . Will the ground temp be a concern?

No but you'll spend a small fortune heating it right now. I guess it comes down to how bad you want to grow tomatoes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Start them indoors. You want them outside about two days after they sprout and not on the ground. Transplant to large container. Don't transplant into ground until ground temp is over 55.

You are placing the hothouse in direct sun, yes?

Even so, I think its a little early---you will have to watch them carefully. One mistake or another bad freeze and you'll lose them.

DaveB

I used to grow a lot of tomatoes and I happen to be a fan of determinate plants.

I prefer starting from seeds. Wife used to complain about rows of 2 gallon containers with one or two seeds in them. Transplant into ground when you are well past any chance of frost (and don't forget the recent April freeze, freak or not).

Go to Gurney's for seeds, I like BHN-1021 Hybrid Tomato but there are lots of choices.

https://www.gurneys.com/category/s?keyw ... atoe+seeds

WTM

by the time you get your seedling transplants ready you wont need a heater. i would go ahead and cover the raised bed with sheet plastic to raise the soil temp. raised beds get warmer quicker than direct soil. since you like celebrities, they usually do pretty good earlier since they are mid season variety and can handle cool temps. stupice is another short season that grows well in cooler temps. there are some black russian varieties that some folks have good luck with but i have never grown them.

the problem with hoops in march is the wind. better have them secured well.

Latest posts