What would you do.

bobthebowhunter

Got permission to hunt a fella's property who's having some yote trouble. I set up and started calling around 7pm. Not a lot of room so I stayed in one spot. I started with pup distress and did that on an off with some mixed challenge howls/barks because he said they had been agressive towards his dog. Here's where i get stuck. about an hour before dark I had several yote break out into the typical serenade after i'd been calling say about 400yds away up on the ridge. What action would you take. Move closer? Stay put and call? If so what call would you try to get them to come out of cover?

I just stayed put and about 20minutes after I hear the yotes I tried the pup distress and the cottontail distress with no luck.

I've had this happen to me a couple time's where they serenade close by and I'm not sure what to do in this situation. What would you do?

pass-thru

I'm not a predator caller. But I have called yotes into spitting distance with my own voice after they sound off, just by imitating the sounds they were making.

I would move closer and try to sound like them. 400 yards is a long way though and there is probably a limited window of opportunity.

10mm4me

Ditch the barks and distress calls. Yotes are more likely to be scared off then respond. Stick with the cottontail distress. Once you are set up, sit still and quiet for 30 min. Start with a soft cottontail distress and get gradually louder for 1-2 min. Wait 10-15 min. then repeat. Do this cycle for about an hr. If no luck relocate. Get started about an hr before dusk. You'll see some dogs.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
This time of year pup distress sounds and howls will be the most productive although anything could work. Google predatortalkcast there is a podcast with randy Anderson who claims summer months are the absolute best times to howl and use coyote vocalizations. A little rabbit in distress or mouse squeals on a fresh cut hay field might just do the trick also. I wouldn't limit myself to just one approach

Latest posts