What grain bullet for elk

AT Hiker

tickweed said:
I hunt with a 7 mag. 160 grain nosler partition Ive took over ten Elk with this , works great.

Prob one of the best reviewed factory 7mm rounds and I love them. Only prob is I cannot find them anywhere anymore, I have 20 left and I am considering saving them for next years mule deer hunt. They retain energy down range and I have actually recovered the bullet before and it was a perfect mushroom.

I did see Walmart had some deer thug federal 160 grain soft point...I wouldnt use them on anything bigger than our whitetail here but I wonder how well they perform?

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
tickweed said:
I hunt with a 7 mag. 160 grain nosler partition Ive took over ten Elk with this , works great.

I also took those same bullets on my elk hunt a few years ago. Unfortunately I didn't get to test them.

1shot1kill

Harley 2008, if you are reffering to the 165 gr TSX bullet. It performed excellent. I brought a beautiful 800lb 6x6 home. I had a 150 yd uphill trotting broadside shot. I almost missed, I was aiming for his shoulder and hit him approximately 5 inches back from the shoulder, I hit high almost over his back. 3 inches below his spine. He went down on all fours and was dead in 15 seconds. Complete pass through. I was using a Browning A-Bolt .300 WSM topped with a Swarovski Z3 4x12x50 BRH Reticle scope. Also this is just my opinion, whatever bullet you choose I would make sure it has a very high weight retention, such as the TSX, Nosler Partition, Barnes MRX, Accubonds bullets etc. I wouldnt even consider Core Loks or a soft point bullet for hunting elk. Good luck

1shot1kill

No problem. It was my first trip to Colorado, It was a trip of a life time. The Rocky Mountains changes you. Don't know how to explain it, but you will understand what I'm talking about after your trip. Good luck, hope you have a successful hunt. Post some pics when you get back.

WMAn

ChippewaPartners said:
I would use the bullet that best works for you in getting that bullet into the vitals.......what's not to like about a heart shot?

The fact that you destroy the heart and can't eat it. :D