What a thrill!

TheLBLman

It was made even more special by the fact that I killed the bird with an old browning that my Grandfather gave to me years ago. He spent 45 minutes on the phone with me last night wanting to hear every detail about my hunt.
That's very special!
I killed two of my 1st 4 turkeys with 16 gauge guns, one belonging to each grandfather.
One was a Browning Sweet 16, the other an old Stevens side by side.
Three of my first 4 turkeys were taken with 16 gauge "bird" guns.

Steve ended the day by gifting me an old box call.
And an arrowhead too! :cool:
He was so excited, and he told me all about your day.
Ya'll did good.

But I did have to disagree with SCN about the 1st turkey being one of life's Top 3 events.
Maybe yesterday ranked in your Top 10. :)

Pilchard

And an arrowhead too! :cool:
He was so excited, and he told me all about your day.
Ya'll did good.

But I did have to disagree with SCN about the 1st turkey being one of life's Top 3 events.
Maybe yesterday ranked in your Top 10. :)
The first thing he did when he picked up the arrowhead was hand it to me and say "give this to your son" which I did. My son was thrilled and luckily is at school now because I have had to tell him repeatedly since he got it that he can't lash it to a stick and use it as a spear in the yard.

It definitely makes the top 10. The bird was missing all of its feathers along its breast. Steve explained that this is from the bird breeding hens. He got a real kick out me telling him I was going to try to rub the hair off my chest on my wife yesterday evening. I didn't have the chance but perhaps I will on my birthday in August😂

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Now you know what sets turkey hunting apart from any other pursuit.
AND, you can appreciate the differences between the more classic "run & gun" traditional turkey HUNTING vs. simply setting near a decoy (other hunters' use of which I have no problem).

Speaking of "appreciating", it is a blessing for those of us who have private properties of large enough acreage to actually "hunt" turkeys in the more traditional art form. To me, it is the most fun way to enjoy hunting the wild turkey. Even more a blessing, still having the physical abilities to do it.

tdt5446

Several pieces of history here! An ancient native American point, first ever gobbler, the Browning, recounting the hunt to your Grandfather, and most important, a first time hunt with your mentor. Great story, great bird, congratulations!

Latest posts