Western KY

Monk74

Having hunted mid Tn for 30+ years, I've seen the difference in just 30 miles north in the Portland area. Much bigger deer at least body wise.

Wildcat

I run 9 cameras in Trigg and Christian co. Doe population seam to be down a lot and fawns almost non existent. Should mean for bigger bucks. I don't see that either. Coyote? Through the roof crazy numbers.
100 acres I Christian co? Maybe a million dollars now?

He's right about the high prices. I was out bid at a few land auctions by duck hunters and a group of hunters buying their own land as a group. One thing I saw at EVERY AUCTION I was at, as soon as the gavel fell several guys rushed the buyer wanting to buy the hunting rights right then and there. One time I happen to see a guy pull out $25,000 in cash to give to the new land owner, I have no idea how much the final price was or if they leased it or outright bought the hunting rights. It's crazy.

SALTMAN

1 buck limit does have to help .IMO
also the 100 ac costing a million is way off too. Around us some is selling for 2000/ 2500 …. But if you got a mil to spare you can certainly have our 105 ac , properly managed with great deer plus stocked spring fed 1ac pond . lol

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
also the 100 ac costing a million is way off too. Around us some is selling for 2000/ 2500 …. But if you got a mil to spare you can certainly have our 105 ac , properly managed with great deer plus stocked spring fed 1ac pond . lol
I had 100 acres come up for sale this past spring very near me in southern Trigg county that was bought by "AMISH" for $7200 an acre. Thats $720,000 No trees, 35% of it year round wet. I had hoped to buy it for $3500 an acre but didnt even get to raise my bidders card.

A neighbor with 75 acres rough land, no marketable timber too rocky and rough for much other than goats, cattle and deer, I offered $375,000 and they laughed me off the porch

Guess I need to start looking up around your place Joe, I might be able to buy a little up there.

MusicCityCajun

We bought last year at $1995/ac as part of a deer management property in Hopkins county. It's hilly former coal strip mining land, so no commercial farming value but it's perfect for timber and deer. Stay away from the farmable land and it shouldn't be anywhere near 7k.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
I would disagree with that. Trail-cam photo censuses I've run there show about the same age structure as most of Middle TN. Just much higher antler development per age-class there, which often makes hunters assume bucks are older.

I agree with the higher antler development. The Pembroke soils of this region grow everything better. Christian, Todd and Logan Counties will consistently be some of the top 20 counties in the nation in corn production. It's amazing the carrying capacity( ability to hold nutrients at root depth) of the soil in that area and hence the deer are amazing as well.