Western KY

Mr. Hawk

I've never hunted KY but wondered if there is that big of a difference in the quality of the bucks there vs Middle TN ( I hunt Putnam/Jackson)? I'm considering buying some land up there to have access to mature deer but wanted opinions from those who have hunted both places. Is it night and day or just hype? Was considering the Christian County and surrounding area to grab 100 or so acres.

I've been hunting my area for 23 years and killing a 140"+ deer feels like winning the lottery.

BSK

140" bucks are not common anywhere outside the Midwest (and not that common even there), but without question, Western KY produces more top-end bucks than most parts of TN, even looking at same-age bucks.

MusicCityCajun

We just got a place between Madisonville and Princeton last year and have been very impressed. I grew up hunting in Southwest Mississippi where mature bucks were routinely 120" but it took something special to reach 140+. Now that we are in KY is it normal to have 3-5 bucks on camera in the 140 range each year, with some years having an older deer get much bigger.

SALTMAN

Me n Daryl's place is on Christian/Hopkins co line . I lived in Mid Tn and hunted all over , including Jackson co .
answer is : buy all you can afford and then some in West Ky . I live in Cadiz and the neighborhood bucks are pretty good also , getting better since one known poacher got too old and had to sell/move . Good management type neighbors help a lot . Talk to some neighbors around the property you might look at . A bad one can cut down on your sucess with management . Got bunch of pics on 145 8 point I took last week . Shows he had all the ingredients he needed to stay close and not wander too far I guess. Joe

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Wky buck

Attachments

• FC04FCE8-36AB-49AA-B935-E623BBC3AA70.png
    FC04FCE8-36AB-49AA-B935-E623BBC3AA70.png
    362.2 KB · Views: 140

Mr.Bro

Today is day 6 of hunting hard in Christian county.2nd week of November should have seen a few 140 or better bucks. Have only seen 1. Tomorrow morning just may produce that mythical 170 that is thought to be behind every tree. Good luck with your land purchase. I will say Christian co has some very nice folks living there.

Shed Hunter

KY can vary by location just like anywhere else. Something I use for picking new public land in different states and will work just as well for private land is looking at the boone and crockett maps.

You can buy better land in TN than parts of places like even IA

infoman jr.

Having hunted both quite extensively, yes it is night and day. Of course, big deer can be held locally by food, cover, and other factors, I'm speaking from a regional standpoint.

JArender

after leasing a few farms in ky then getting a to good to pass up offer on my farm in marshall county I came up to ky and bought outside dawson springs and princeton. The only sucky part is the drive between nashville and clarksville. this fools can't drive.

if you're serious about buying call mark williams with whitetail properties and ask him to put you with carl. no one will work harder for you.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I lived and hunted Putnam and Jackson county for years. Now spend majority of my time in Trigg County and expect 8+ 130 to 140 3 year olds, 6 to 8 135 to 155 4+ year olds and at least 2 160 range mature bucks on cameras on the farms I manage. I can drive 15 miles east into christian county and show you a room full of 160 to 180's mounts taken on that farm between Ft Campbell and I-24. Yes, western KY is far better than middle TN in many ways. We commonly take 130 to 140 pound live weight does with a 162 lb being our largest doe. Also there is far better cooperation for quality management practices from the neighbors than you can find in mid tenn.
and as expected the land prices reflect it

Wildcat

Western Ky has the bucks but it also has way too many does in a lot of places. I posted pictures of the damage they did to the bean fields this spring and 2 years ago. Want to see a 140 class buck? There is one right next door to me and I see him almost every day, it's on unhuntable land. He only comes on my property at night, have him on my home security cameras.

Mr.Bro

I run 9 cameras in Trigg and Christian co. Doe population seam to be down a lot and fawns almost non existent. Should mean for bigger bucks. I don't see that either. Coyote? Through the roof crazy numbers.
100 acres I Christian co? Maybe a million dollars now?

Shed Hunter

I lived and hunted Putnam and Jackson county for years. Now spend majority of my time in Trigg County and expect 8+ 130 to 140 3 year olds, 6 to 8 135 to 155 4+ year olds and at least 2 160 range mature bucks on cameras on the farms I manage. I can drive 15 miles east into christian county and show you a room full of 160 to 180's mounts taken on that farm between Ft Campbell and I-24. Yes, western KY is far better than middle TN in many ways. We commonly take 130 to 140 pound live weight does with a 162 lb being our largest doe. Also there is far better cooperation for quality management practices from the neighbors than you can find in mid tenn.
and as expected the land prices reflect it
The deer in that area grow big antlers young. Some stay about the same but some blow up throughout their life

Antler Daddy

You are going to need some capital. CWD will likely reach the area within 10 years too.

You can hunt the same deer cheaply on WMA's, LBL, and even on a lease if you can find one.

Headhunter

140" bucks are not common anywhere outside the Midwest (and not that common even there), but without question, Western KY produces more top-end bucks than most parts of TN, even looking at same-age bucks.
I disagree somewhat. I have been hunting in western KY for several years now. I would not say 140" are common, but it you want to say 130" and above, to 160 class bucks, Western KY sure has them. There has not been one year that I have not seen 1 or 2 giants killed (meaning 170" or better), First year there I saw a nontypical, grossed in the 230's, the Dan Hughes buck, 250's, was killed not to far from where we hunt talked to him, really nice guy, I measured a shed found near Cadiz, one side, 83", I could go and on. And for 130's to 160's class bucks, I see many killed in that range every season. 2 different seasons, on the farm we hunt and a farm or 2 beside it, there has been 6 or more bucks killed that measured from 130" to 160" in the first week of the season. My brother and myself killed a 130's and a 140's class buck on the same day out of the same tree, great memory for sure.

There have been some off years for us to, but every season, I see many super nice deer killed in Western KY. The area I hunt is surrounded by "if its brown, its down" guys. They kill every single deer they legally can. No telling how much better that area would be if they would let more young bucks walk.

Also, does that mean "everyone" kills a great buck every year or that everyone has killed one? Nope, not even close. Is there a pile of deer killed every year that are over 130"? For sure.

BSK

Outside of the ag/soil differences, that 1 buck limit helps a lot! Helps many a bucks grow older.
I would disagree with that. Trail-cam photo censuses I've run there show about the same age structure as most of Middle TN. Just much higher antler development per age-class there, which often makes hunters assume bucks are older.

Latest posts