Went Big, Failed Miserably

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Go big or go home. :D

Oh well man, I am sure you have had far more successes than failures.

Better luck next time.

Vermin93

Poser said:
The party swelled to about 20 people and everyone was interested in the "hobo" meal cooking in the fire. So, with a crowd full of onlookers, I dug the package up, picked it up with the shovel and.... it disintegrated completely into dust. Absolutely nothing left except for 1 single charred neckbone. :( :eek:

I am picturing this going down and it's a pretty darn funny image. An admirable attempt, for sure.

plinker22

Vermin93 said:
Poser said:
The party swelled to about 20 people and everyone was interested in the "hobo" meal cooking in the fire. So, with a crowd full of onlookers, I dug the package up, picked it up with the shovel and.... it disintegrated completely into dust. Absolutely nothing left except for 1 single charred neckbone. :( :eek:

I am picturing this going down and it's a pretty darn funny image. An admirable attempt, for sure.

Me too! And I did actually LOL. :D :D :D

DaveB

Never seen that happen Poser. No burnt meat smell at some point? Something metal in contact? Don't feel bad tho. I cooked Thanksgiving turkey and forgot to turn the oven on, we had all the fixins and no bird. My sister Mime'd eating and carving, it was turrible.

Vermin93

DaveB said:
Don't feel bad tho. I cooked Thanksgiving turkey and forgot to turn the oven on, we had all the fixins and no bird. My sister Mime'd eating and carving, it was turrible.

LOL! How is that even possible? That's a story that should never die in your family. First degree man card violation!

DaveB

I have many really good explanations but in fact, I worked the previous night and feel asleep. When company arrived and woke me up, the error was discovered but in fact, it was way too late.

And yes, they remind me. Happened in 1976.

Crosshairy

Eric mentioned a couple of things that I was going to say...
Put a layer of dirt over it to avoid direct contact with active coals, and put some other fruits or veggies in there.

As long as water is present, the temp can't rise above 212 and no charring occurs. The veggies (or water-soaked leaves, sometimes) add flavor and help moderate the temps.

I'm jealous! Always wanted to try this...guess I need to save a neck this year!