Well crap

Worm

2-Step Enabled
Went hunting this afternoon with my son and he was using the Model Seven 7mm08. Two doe's came out bout an hour before dark. He decided to take one and took aim only to hear, snap. He ejected the round and took aim again, snap. He gave me a very hard look as I reload all our rounds. I told him to try again, snap. Just one more time, snap. Another, what the heck look passed my way. I picked up all the rounds to find only a small dent in the primer. With the weapon unloaded I worked the bolt and pulled the trigger a few times. Loaded the same rounds back in and all four shot that time.
Came home and cleaned the bolt/pin not to find anything wrong and it appeared to be very clean. Not too sure right now.

mr.big

primers not seated tight or excessive FL sizing

I would say lube on primers if they hadn`t fired second time,,,could be a thin lot of primers also,,or some brass thats been overloaded,,I`d try it again with different bras and primes..

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
mr.big said:

I would say lube on primers if they hadn`t fired second time,,,could be a thin lot of primers also,,or some brass thats been overloaded,,I`d try it again with different bras and primes..

Likely. I'd also say firing pin dragging but it wasn't that cold this afternoon. Mr. big's probably right. I vote for oversizing. I like to have them where I can just feel a little pressure when closing the bolt so I know I don't have that little bit of headspace that can cause this problem. My namesake the 35 Whelen is notorious for this problem and I have to watch it like a hawk. My Ruger and NEF both have long chambers and you can't let the dies full length size and bottom out the press on the die or you'll get a nice click when you pull the trigger.

Take the firing pin out of the bolt and then try the brass to see what the fit is. It'll be a little safer that way. You'll still have the drag of the ejector spring but slowly adjust that die in until you can just close the bolt on a sized case. It's worked for me in the past. Good luck.

Worm

2-Step Enabled
RUGER said:
Your lucky he didn't dirt roll you. :D
At 6'1" and 250 he can but he knows I am meaner than he is plus I still pay all the bills.

This was new brass and I make sure I dont get lube on or anywhere near the primers. I was thinking about headspace last night but wondered why it never did that on the range when I was working up loads. The bolt closes with little resistance so that may be it.

TiminTN

Worm, the inside of the bolt body possibly has some debris causing the pin to stop short of full protrusion.
Try taking the firing pin assembly out and flushing the bolt body out real well.

Stange occurance, and I am grasping at straws here.
I never had a die to size a case so much to cause a misfire.
Others have so follow that as well.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Tim, when I've had problems with oversizing cases I don't find it's a problem with the dies. They're usually right but the rifle manufacturers do occasionally make some with a chamber on the long side of SAAMI specs. Then combine that with ammo that's on the short side and "click". It's a good way to find out if you flinch though. You may be right about the firing pin assembly. That's another likely candidate. I clean the insides of my bolt assembly and then use the Remington Dri-Lube. It won't sludge up the way that an oil will. Either that or run it dry.

I have just the opposite problem with my Bushmaster Predator AR15 it has a tight chamber and if I don't 100% full size I get stuck cases, I found this out after loading 100 rounds at about a 80% sizing, like I do for my bolt actions.

Whelen Man said:
mr.big said:

Likely. I'd also say firing pin dragging but it wasn't that cold this afternoon. Mr. big's probably right. I vote for oversizing. I like to have them where I can just feel a little pressure when closing the bolt so I know I don't have that little bit of headspace that can cause this problem. My namesake the 35 Whelen is notorious for this problem and I have to watch it like a hawk. My Ruger and NEF both have long chambers and you can't let the dies full length size and bottom out the press on the die or you'll get a nice click when you pull the trigger.

Take the firing pin out of the bolt and then try the brass to see what the fit is. It'll be a little safer that way. You'll still have the drag of the ejector spring but slowly adjust that die in until you can just close the bolt on a sized case. It's worked for me in the past. Good luck.

Latest posts