Weighing Blackhorn 209 Charge

UTGrad

I decided to weigh the 100 grain by volume charge of Blackhorn 209 I've been shooting. It consistently weighed between 72-73.5 grains. 100 grains by volume of BH209 according to Western Powders should weigh 70 grains. I adjusted my TC powder measure to 95 grains and it weighed in around 69-70 grains.

I guess my volume measure is about 5 grains off.

GMB54

The weight vs volume can change with the lot#. So if you weigh your BH209 pay attention to the next bottle you open. Your old weight could be more or less in volume.

I weigh mine just because its easy with my Chargemaster 1500 Combo but a volume type measure like a Redding 3BR or Harrels will work just fine too if you prefer something faster.

Measure out 10 loads by volume. Weigh each load then average them. Use that average as your base line weight for that volume.

Harold Money jr

By volume 777 was 90gr, I read somewhere that by weight BH209 should be reduced by 30%. So I started with 63gr weight and it kicked harder and the bullets shot flatter I mean substantially I just kept it there. I know it's not apples to apples but, that's my experience.

CHRIS WILSON

I decided to weigh the 100 grain by volume charge of Blackhorn 209 I've been shooting. It consistently weighed between 72-73.5 grains. 100 grains by volume of BH209 according to Western Powders should weigh 70 grains. I adjusted my TC powder measure to 95 grains and it weighed in around 69-70 grains.

I guess my volume measure is about 5 grains off.
Probably nothing wrong with your powder measure. As mentioned by GMB54, there can be a slight difference in the weight vs volume from lot to lot with Blackhorn, so that 70 gr by weight equals 100 gr by volume won't necessarily hold true from lot to lot. https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/lot-35-lot-36-lot-37.36827/

GMB54

The big thing with weight is, assuming you have a good scale....70gr or whatever will always be 70gr by weight. You remove the chance of user error unless you get a volume measure like a Redding or Harrels. Those types of volume measures can be super consistent with almost no practice. Your typical black powder field measure takes a little more effort on the part of the shooter to get consistent.

I calibrate my Chargemaster, tell it how much weight i want and press a button. It will keep filling the pan as long as i want so its very very easy. Plus powder waste is basically nothing. Each load gets dumped in a tube. All the tubes go in a ammo can or range box. Sure makes range days or recreational shooting easy and when hunting its one less thing i need to carry with me.

Latest posts