Weed

catman529

What were you thinking???? Not something growing in your closet right? ;)

I'm talking about the much loathed plants that we all have to pull out of our gardens... :D

How do you keep weeds out? I found a woven weed barrier fabric to work well for the tomatoes this year. Other than that, I don't use anything except maybe cypress mulch, I try to keep it organic. In fact I think the only non-organic thing is the Miracle Gro potting mix that I use to start the seedlings in. Homemade garlic spray wasn't as effective as I hoped. Maybe if I had brewed it stronger or applied it more often...

TX300mag

Plastic mulch works well if you don't mind putting it down. I probably wouldn't use a lot of it without drip tape, though or you'll work yourself to death trying to keep it watered.

There are some organic gardeners that express concern about the plastic off gassing and leaching chemicals, but there's no solid evidence.

I use regular cultivation on row crops. I'll use fabric or plastic on raised beds. And if I feel like collecting grass clippings I'll mulch anything else with that.

PickettSFHunter

catman529 said:
smstone22 said:
I prefer just doing alot of hoeing. I like to be totally organic.

Nothing non-organic about an organic mulch.

Not saying there is. But there are problems with nitrogen depletion in the soil when using organic mulches, which would then require some form of N application to get the N back where it needs to be. Basically it has to do with mulches having a high carbon content so microorganisms in the soil will take N from the soil to balance their "diet". The only way to stop that from happening would be to remove your mulch from your garden every year without allowing any of it to become incorporated in your soil. But heck Im sure alittle N depletion is worth it to keep weeds out for most folks :grin: Gardening isnt exactly why Im in the horticulture field but I have to attempt to learn more than what I just learned as a kid in the garden so I am enjoying reading some on this new forum section.

TX300mag

Rabbit manure and aged chicken manure replace depleted nitrogen for me.

If it were up to me I'd mulch everything with good, clean grass clippings. I just don't have a bagger.

fishboy1

after fighting the grass/weeds in our new garden spot last year, I am willing to try almost anything in '11

Can someone explain the plastic technique ? Any down sides?

Im thinking of getting a big roll of visqueen and just cutting holes in it for the veggies.

catman529

Yeah lay down the plastic before planting and then cut X or circle shaped holes to put the plants in. It keeps in water but also keeps it out...I tried the woven material that repels weeds but lets water through, and it worked pretty well.

ShaneHallum

fishboy1 said:
after fighting the grass/weeds in our new garden spot last year, I am willing to try almost anything in '11

Im thinking of getting a big roll of visqueen and just cutting holes in it for the veggies.

Works pretty good, but you will still have weeds around your plants. Thats better than having to hoe out the entire row.

TX300mag

fishboy1 said:

I wouldn't use it again without drip tape. Farmin68 needs to help you out here. He's used with with success and knows a lot of market growers who use it.

If it's tight enough to keep weeds out it's tight enough to keep moisture out.

Use the thicker stuff. Got to www.robertmarvel.com and you'll see that it's less expensive than anything you can buy at Lowe's or Homo Depot.

Number one disadvantage: pulling the stuff up when you're done! :D

farmin68

Black plastic is great. I would definitely go with the 4 ft. wide over the 3 ft.

Fishboy mentioned visqueen. If you're talking about clear plastic, I predict at least near disaster. The only time clear is used is to warm the soil to start crops earlier. Vegetable growers in Ohio and PA use it on sweet corn to get a two week head start. The other time it is used is for soil solarization...a pre-plant weed eradication method which kills weeds and seeds (roots too) with the heat generated under the plastic.

Using clear plastic I think you'll encourage weed growth in early spring and then later when it warms up will be killing plants - good and bad, roots and all.

catman529

farmin68 said:
Black plastic is great. I would definitely go with the 4 ft. wide over the 3 ft.

Fishboy mentioned visqueen. If you're talking about clear plastic, I predict at least near disaster. The only time clear is used is to warm the soil to start crops earlier. Vegetable growers in Ohio and PA use it on sweet corn to get a two week head start. The other time it is used is for soil solarization...a pre-plant weed eradication method which kills weeds and seeds (roots too) with the heat generated under the plastic.

Using clear plastic I think you'll encourage weed growth in early spring and then later when it warms up will be killing plants - good and bad, roots and all.

Are you sure the clear heats up that much? Black absorbs heat a lot better than the clear, I understand clear plastic could trap heat underneath but black plastic gets hot...I have built balloons with black plastic that heat themselves up in the sun and fly like a hot air balloon, and it didn't work when I tried with clear plastic.