Food Plots We didnt skimp on seed...update

megalomaniac

Me and 3 friends just got done planting some summer plots on our local lease in south MS. The lease manager is a big believer in spending the $$$ on plots if we are willing to put in the time.

3 plots varying from about 1/3 an acre to 1/2 acre. Plots were disked 2w ago. We redisked, planted beans, corn, sunflowers then lightly disked those in. Came back and spread fertilizer and brown top millet then drug than in with a chain drag weighted down.

Like I said, manager didn't want to skimp... we put the equivalent of 500lbs beans, 60lbs corn, 50lbs sunflowers, and 20lbs millet per acre. Plus 400lbs triple 13 per acre. Be interesting to see what this seeding rate does!

Excellent seedbed... just need rain! I'm sure the deer will devour the beans on these small plots. Hopefully the millet makes it for the turkeys, quail, and doves

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-141011_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-141011_Gallery.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20220509-141006_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-141006_Gallery.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 85

UCStandSitter

Me and 3 friends just got done planting some summer plots on our local lease in south MS. The lease manager is a big believer in spending the $$$ on plots if we are willing to put in the time.

3 plots varying from about 1/3 an acre to 1/2 acre. Plots were disked 2w ago. We redisked, planted beans, corn, sunflowers then lightly disked those in. Came back and spread fertilizer and brown top millet then drug than in with a chain drag weighted down.

Like I said, manager didn't want to skimp... we put the equivalent of 500lbs beans, 60lbs corn, 50lbs sunflowers, and 20lbs millet per acre. Plus 400lbs triple 13 per acre. Be interesting to see what this seeding rate does!

Excellent seedbed... just need rain! I'm sure the deer will devour the beans on these small plots. Hopefully the millet makes it for the turkeys, quail, and doves
Would've been nice to have had that soakin rain from Fri/Sat on it. I bet this will be a heckuva crop.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

That might have been enough seed for 25 acres.
A 25 acre field, absolutely.

I'm just as curious as you guys. The manager is a good ole boy who makes his living doing odd jobs... bulldozer work when it's dry, prescribed fires in the spring, lawn service in the summer, and plants food plots for multiple clubs in south MS in the fall. He has always been spot on with seeding rates for the local conditions on the 6 yrs I've know him. He has planted other small summer plots, and has found you have to seed 5x normal rate for beans for them to stand a chance against the deer....

And at $15 per bag for beans and corn, not too much extra expense.

Checked them last Sat am, 5d after planting. 0.2 in rain since planting, and the soil was DRY when we planted. Already starting to germinate.

Monday we got 0.17 in rain. If we don't get a good soaking rain soon the experiment will be over.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-140409_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-140409_Gallery.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 38

BSK

I can understand that high seeding rate. Often, managers/experts warn against over-seeding. They talk about how plant crowding decreases plant growth. All of this is true IF plants are going to grow to maturity. But what of the situation where plants are getting hammered by wildlife the instant they germinate out of the ground? In that situation, over-seeding is a must to produce forage.

I worked on a 5,000 acre island in the Mississippi River with extremely high deer density (when the river wasn't flooding the island). Over summer, soybean plots would be replanted FIVE TIMES. That's because deer would wipe them out soon after germination. To produce any type of consistent high-quality food source, constant replanting was a necessity.

I usually overseed by a specific amount whenever planting plots I know are going to get hammered. Browsing reduces plant density enough to allow proper growth (IF any plants make it to maturity).

megalomaniac

Plots did great... too much corn, but enough beans made it to provide a ton of food under the stalks. Very little weed competition. Need some nitrogen tho. Be interesting to see if the ears tasseling now actually produce.

Bad news... I may lose this lease to a new major manufacturing plant the city is courting to the area... be good to bring 2000 to 3000 new jobs, but I hate to lose a spot so close to my house.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-194206_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220713-194206_Gallery.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20220713-194202_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220713-194202_Gallery.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 66

Chiflyguy

Plots did great... too much corn, but enough beans made it to provide a ton of food under the stalks. Very little weed competition. Need some nitrogen tho. Be interesting to see if the ears tasseling now actually produce.

Bad news... I may lose this lease to a new major manufacturing plant the city is courting to the area... be good to bring 2000 to 3000 new jobs, but I hate to lose a spot so close to my house.
That sucks.
Urban sprawl đź–•

JCDEERMAN

Man, that sucks losing that ground. Just hope you get to enjoy it this fall

Latest posts