Warm weather and sign?

Boll Weevil

With this long spell of unseasonably warm weather and deer wearing their winter coats, my guess is they are moving less when compared to year's with more normal temps. And, assuming they are moving less, I wonder if there is less sign in the way of rubs and scrapes being laid down. Are you seeing less sign than past years or about the same?

WORM82

One place I hunt usually has a couple mature bucks around but I have never seen a scrape on the place and the only rubs I see are on small saplings. 2 miles away at another place there are always a bunch of scrapes.

Winchester

Movement has actually been as good or better than average years here so far. Deer have yet to experience any real cool down during daylight hours, therefore they have continued to move as normal, just like they did all Summer imo. If it cools way down, then warms up temporarily we would likely see a daylight reduction in movement but it seems they are used to it and just going about their business as usual so far. I do hope it gets cold soon as I'm not sure these bucks will react the same when rutting/chasing as its much hotter on them doing that vs simply feeding/moving daily.

MXB 400

catman529":6crw41pr said:
I'm seeing more scrapes this year than usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think most sign is made at night and with daytime temps being above norms may be why you are seeing more scrapes. So hot during the day you have more movement at night just my opinion

PcDeer

Odd but I am actually seeing a lot more sign than I usually would for this time of year. Typically at my place second week of November is when there is an explosion of scrapes and rubs. Walking around Sunday and again yesterday I found scrapes and rubs everywhere.

MXB 400

PcDeer":1j6qgek3 said:
Odd but I am actually seeing a lot more sign than I usually would for this time of year. Typically at my place second week of November is when there is an explosion of scrapes and rubs. Walking around Sunday and again yesterday I found scrapes and rubs everywhere.
Again I think this due to more night time movement with the daytime temps being above the norms

darn2ten

MXB 400":1fmpy6qa said:
PcDeer":1fmpy6qa said:
Again I think this due to more night time movement with the daytime temps being above the norms
For the most part I believe hunters worry more about the temps than the deer do.

catman529

MXB 400":14c54lqf said:
catman529":14c54lqf said:
I'm seeing more scrapes this year than usual

I think most sign is made at night and with daytime temps being above norms may be why you are seeing more scrapes. So hot during the day you have more movement at night just my opinion
I had a doe checking scrapes yesterday around sunset

Latest posts