Wanting to get started with a recurve

PinchPoint

I've been wanting to try out hunting with a recurve for the last few years. I figured I would ask around from some of the guys on here.. I'd like to find a used recurve if at all possible, maybe a Bear takedown, Black widow, Hoyt who knows what.
If any of you guys could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the Knoxville area but don't mind to travel.

Thanks fellas!

Buzzard Breath

Samick Sage. $150. It's a takedown that you can buy different weight limbs for. Great option for someone wanting to get started in single string shooting. I'm in the backyard shooting mine right now. Do a search online and you won't find a single complaint about the quality.
60dd1e9bb7b721a1d423a86725d0ce94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

eddie c

what BB said. even used Bear TD and BW are not cheap.

a few tips that i learned.
you dont setup a trad bow like a compound. 2 different animals.

dont start off with your compound draw weight. there's no let-off. you will be holding the full draw weight. starting off with 40-50 lbs is plenty and will still kill an elk if the shot is placed where it needs to be.

you will be given advise on how to aim from almost everyone. you ask 10 people and will be given 8 methods most likely. listen to all, try all and then experiment yourself. you will find your own style. mine seems to be a combination of 2 or 3 different ways. but it works for me.

find someone in your area that shows trad style bows. there's a club in the Crossville area called Ol' Farts. i dont have any contact info but you may be able to find someone there.

when you get everything setup, you will find some days you can't do no wrong and other days you can't hit the side of the barn from the inside. the days you can't hit the barn, stop shooting asap, even for a few hours, then try again later. and when you start messing up, stop. forcing your shots create bad shooting habits.

i will think of some others later.

southernhunter

I been shooting trad for 4/5 years, I have learned a lot but there's still a lot to learn. I have a Samick bow good quality for a great price. However They are not a bear t/d which is what I shoot now , of course the bear cost 4x as much. Hears my recommendation.

1. older bear ( not the take downs ) bows can be picked up at fair price and will hold their value but the samick is a good option as well.

2. Start out with a low draw weight , I goofed up here when I started. I just helped my brother buy and set up my a 25lb sage . It's a blast to shoot and slings a arrow pretty dang hard . If I had it to do over I'd start out with a 25/30lb bow at my draw length. Fyi your draw length effects the poundage , most bows are measured at a 28 inch draw .
3. Don't worry about accuracy at first it comes later, focus on correct form and a clean release at 10 yards or less
4. Expect a longer learning curve than compared to a compound.
5. Join as a many trad archery forums as you can . There's a lot of good info and some good guys shoot trad. But take every thing as a suggestion , trad archery is a personal experience. What works for one will it for another .
6. Be prepaid to experiment With your set up a lot to find would works for you. Example 3 under or split finger , anchor points , stance , glove vs tab etc and On the bow you can adjust brace height , nocking point, shelf material , string material etc etc but don't stress this to much in the beginning.
7. Don't give up after a few weeks. I am so glad I stuck it out . There's nothing like shooting a longbow or recurve bow . I have nothing against compounds I shot them for years. But I highly doubt I'll ever hang another on my wall.
I made so many mistakes at first but I learned a lot and the more I learn about trad archery the more I want to learn . I recently started building my own strings , tabs , arrows and it's just as fun as shooting or at least for me it is.

There's several archery pages on Facebook and I few trad only classifieds as well Good luck

southernhunter

eddie c":32ym5vkd said:
what BB said. even used Bear TD and BW are not cheap.

a few tips that i learned.
you dont setup a trad bow like a compound. 2 different animals.

dont start off with your compound draw weight. there's no let-off. you will be holding the full draw weight. starting off with 40-50 lbs is plenty and will still kill an elk if the shot is placed where it needs to be.

you will be given advise on how to aim from almost everyone. you ask 10 people and will be given 8 methods most likely. listen to all, try all and then experiment yourself. you will find your own style. mine seems to be a combination of 2 or 3 different ways. but it works for me.

find someone in your area that shows trad style bows. there's a club in the Crossville area called Ol' Farts. i dont have any contact info but you may be able to find someone there. I am from crossville . I am going to suggest my brother and niece look up this club

when you get everything setup, you will find some days you can't do no wrong and other days you can't hit the side of the barn from the inside. the days you can't hit the barn, stop shooting asap, even for a few hours, then try again later. and when you start messing up, stop. forcing your shots create bad shooting habits.

i will think of some others later.
I am from crossville, I am going to suggest my brother and niece look up this club , thanks Eddie

eddie c

PinchPoint":huushu47 said:
Thanks for the input guys, trying to find one to buy in my area seems almost impossible.... still trying
go here, sign in and start a post about looking for a bow and help in your area. this site isnt as up to date as others but if you can wade through the BS, you can find some good info and help.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm

eddie c

FYI: i just read on another site that the string that comes a new Samick is junk and recommends getting a new string for better performance.

southernhunter

If you haven't bought a bow yet , I'd also suggest looking at the slick stick, I have one and it's a great bow for the money . Comes with a life time warranty, there's a vid on YouTube where they dry fire it 200 times with no damage to the bow. Also I am looking at buying a Byron Ferguson long bow he has a basic model that's $495. I have emailed them a couple time already . They have been super nice and I am sure they would stand behind their product and they are made right here in Alabama.

Latest posts