Wanting to get a Metal Detector, any advice?

rodeojoe

Wanting to get into Metal Detecting. Anyone with any good sound advice?
I ain't rich, so what would be a good starting Detector to start with.
Or maybe one of you has moved up to a pricier detector and have your starter.
I want to know anything in the ground I am checking. Do Detectors all find everything metal?
I want to look for artifacts, gold, silver, meteorites, whatever I come across.
And yes, pull tabs, nails, and soda caps. đź‘Ť

Chiflyguy

I bought this one a couple months ago.
I find metal things in the ground.
I like it.
Metal Detector for Adults, Professional High Accuracy Waterproof Gold Detector with LCD Display, 10" Coil Adjustable Metal Detector for Treasure Hunting, 5 Modes, Advanced DSP Chip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P3P8KQZ/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

rodeojoe

I bought this one a couple months ago.
I find metal things in the ground.
I like it.
Metal Detector for Adults, Professional High Accuracy Waterproof Gold Detector with LCD Display, 10" Coil Adjustable Metal Detector for Treasure Hunting, 5 Modes, Advanced DSP Chip Amazon product ASIN B09P3P8KQZ

Wow, that is pretty cheap.
Is this your first one. Have you used many of them to compare it to?

XCR-2

Nokta simplex is what I have. It was recommended to me by a friend who is huge into detecting as a first metal detector. I like it so far.

Carlos

I had an Ace Garrett 250 that was great for 6-7 years. We left batteries in it, stored away for a year or so and the corrosion ruined it.

It had quite a few settings to filter out- or pickup certain metals. I'd buy another one, it worked great for us.

GnashviLLe

You can't go wrong with a Garrett , Anything Nokta Makro, or Minelabs.
Been metal detecting my whole life pretty much, dad and i are big into it.

He uses a minelab, i use a nokta makro Legend.

If you want to get into it, even a "beginner" rig from any of these companies are great and will last you a long time.

Would just hate to see you spend a little money on something "cheap" and it don't last you

Just check out any of those companies i listed and see their beginner setups, you'll be hooked once you start though!

killingtime 41

I had an Ace Garrett 250 that was great for 6-7 years. We left batteries in it, stored away for a year or so and the corrosion ruined it.

It had quite a few settings to filter out- or pickup certain metals. I'd buy another one, it worked great for us.
Ace 250 is a great choice. Simple with some advancements when you get better at it.

Crow Terminator

Nokta makes OK machines. They are in a bit of a war with Minelab right now and it's really only helping us as consumers. They are going after Minelab heavy to try to offer the best bang for the bucks. They haven't quite caught up to Minelab yet IMO. Be VERY weary of any over the top YouTube videos for them. I actually helped prototype test some of their machines and I won't lie to you...they offered pretty good perks (machine and gear freebies) to channel creators who would go above and beyond promoting/pushing their products. I don't like that kind of thing so I opted out from future dealings with them. The new Simplex models that are coming out are decent for their price point. But comparing their multi freq Legend head to head to the Minelab Equinox and Manticore or the XP Deus 2...it falls short. Still a great effort for their first multi freq detector. I'm sad to say that Fisher/Teknetics are probably on the way out...following the path of Whites and Tesoro...out of business. The big 4 right now are Minelab, XP, Garrett, and Nokta. Garrett is probably soon to follow the path of out of business unless they come out with something to compete with the other 3.

Wiley

I just bought a new battery tray for my old White's Spectrum XLT so I can detect a couple of places on my lease in Hardin County. Still learning and it's been a few years since I've even been out with it.

tree_ghost

I have a Garret AT pro but I need to tag along with someone who has a little more experience than me. I dig a lot of tin cans and have pretty much given up on looking in the water lol

Specializedjon

I'd suggest starting out as inexpensive as you can. The rabbit hole of metal detecting is DEEP. Find out if you like it first and then make an investment. You'll have days that you're just diggin up junk, then you'll get something. THAT'S the exciting part. Ya just don't know.

Save some money for a pointer, decent shovel/trowel and some gloves.

Latest posts