Wanted Scaley bark hickory nuts

Wiley

Whatcha gonna do with them? I talked to an old timer a few years ago who was picking them up on the side of the road. He said he'd been getting them from under that same tree for 40 years to make cakes with. He said a hickory nut cake was way better than a walnut cake.
My maternal Granny used to make hickor nut cakes once in a while. DANG they were GOOD! And, yes, we leave the 'y" off of the pronunciation of the nut. I've heard and said it that way all my life.

sgtwebb1

I use the bark from a shagbark tree for grilling, it don't take much and the taste is better than any store bought wood or chips you can buy. go easy with it till you find the amount of flavor you like.
Thanks for the tip, I know where there are several trees on my son's property, I'll be grabbing some shagbark strips.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I have several shagbark hickory trees on our farm. Always figured it was probably too much work to try to get to the nuts to see if they were any good.
The thing to do is soak the nuts in water. Not sure how long but it allows the nit to separate from the shell easier. They do take very good

mike52

Looking for some scaley bark hickory nuts. Don't mind driving a ways to get them. I used to have a place I could pick up a bunch but that tree is gone.
Are you still looking for hickory nuts ? have some that are on ground If you still needing I will p/u and see how many there are

Latest posts