Waiting on the Next 1

KTS

I definitely remember a squirrel migration somewhere around that time. Never seen as many run over on the roads before or since.
My friend and I were going east toward Crossville and they were trying to cross the road going from north to south. We probably saw several hundred by the time we got there.

chimneyman

Sometime in late 60s early 70s we had a migration around Blount co. They were supposedly coming from the park where there was no mast that fall People were using dip nets getting them swimming across Chilhowee lake I was hunting small wood lot some days there wouldn't be single squirrel next weekend you could get limit in 30 minutes

tellico4x4

I was 16 in 1970 and we had a total mast failure around McMinnville. Squirrels poured off the mtns in droves to feed in cornfields in lowland. 3-4 of us would post up along fence line & wear them out . Had to space out pretty far as we were shooting them on ground & peppering each other pretty good with #6s 🤣. Killed so many that fall I was told not to bring another squirrel home 🐿️

chimneyman

Must be the year I'm thinking about I was 15 in 1970 . I wasn't driving then had to walk to my spots. Didn't twra raise the limit to something like 18 per day. I know I walked home carrying as many squirrels as I could

Buzzard Breath

I know one thing, they migrated the hell out of Hickman County and Williamsport this year. It was my worst late squirrel season ever. They just weren't there.

Buzzard Breath

Agreed. My cousin is living there now and he said in the last 3 months, he's seen 2 squirrels
I haven't seen a gray squirrel out there since October, but the fox squirrels hung around. Their must be something different about their diet that allows them to survive when there are no acorns. There's not a ton of them, but there are quite a few living along the drive, creek and around the equipment sheds.

tellico4x4

I know one thing, they migrated the hell out of Hickman County and Williamsport this year. It was my worst late squirrel season ever. They just weren't there.
Yep, no food for our squirrels in Wayne Co this year either. Our hickories & walnuts didn't have a single nut, let alone acorns...They were cutting pine cones in Sept. The further season went the fewer we saw. Hopefully they'll be back as I've got a Mtn cur pup to train 😁

Wobblyshot1

I remember it well. Squirrels were everywhere. As someone else said the TWRA increased the limit but then the die off....I recall the next season the woods were void of them. I remember going squirrel hunt a time or two and only saw one at a pretty good distance.

Latest posts