Veterans Day Reminder

trout

Veterans Day - Freedom is not Free

Thank you to all who served this country!

My father passed last Veterans Day. I am reposting and sharing my memories below.

Dear friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I share the news of my father's passing this morning. It seems fitting this great man and soldier left this world on Veterans Day. Faith, Family, and Country guided his life and those values brought joy to many others. My prayer for each of you this day is an inner peace that passes all understanding. May the spirit of the woods fill your heart with gladness. Take time today to thank those who taught you how to find joy in the great outdoors.

Respectfully,

Ron

11/12 update

Your thoughts and prayers have been a blessing to me. My earliest memory of my father was him leaving for Vietnam. After his return, I remember him passing a gun to me to hold. The last gun he held was my 12 gauge slug gun. He also taught me to trap before I was old enough to go to school. While hunting and trapping seasons were short, teaching me how to trout fish in the creek in front of our home consumed me. He shot bull elk and mule deer in the Idaho wilderness with my brother and loved to hunt the mountain whitetails around our home.

After my father had passed Wednesday night, my wife and I left his house and headed for my best friend's cabin. As we started down the lane from my father's mountain home, we had to stop as big mature buck was walking up the lane. We both stopped and looked at each other before the buck eased off into an old clearcut. I smiled through the tears wishing I could tell my father.

11/15 update

We laid my father to rest yesterday. I awoke to the first snow of the season. A heavy wet snow that melted promptly on the ground. Dad and I would have talked about how snow cover was an exciting time to deer hunt with the high visibility. During breakfast, a lone Tom turkey skirted a thicket behind the cabin with a noticeable limp. I was confident the bird would somehow survive the winter in the dense wood lot.

His service was a simple affair in a small country church with a large number of family and friends. My brother provided an emotional "life sketch" eulogy that started with my father was the oldest son of a tenant farmer and ended with references to his grit, humor, love, forgiveness, and service to others. I was pleased to meet many for the first time who had worked with my father and mother on mission trips.

The grave side service was held promptly after the funeral. A large group huddled close as we tried to break the cold wind for my mother. Military honor guard was fitting send off with three volleys of gunfire at sunset, playing of taps, and flag folding presentation to my mother. We returned to the church for a nice meal with a lively conversation which would have very much pleased dad.

The day ended back at the cabin with my wife, children, and grandchildren. I thanked each of the grand kids for helping me say goodbye to "old" Pap. The adults stayed up late and we shared stories of a life well lived. I cannot be the man my father was. However, I can carry what I have learned. With the Lord as my guide, I can lead my family in same the direction. Amen

11/20

I laid my father to rest last week and then shot my best buck yesterday. I prayed and cried before I got out of the stand to thank God and my father for the memories we shared together.

Latest posts