Varmint Scope

gil1

I just sort of got into cat, yote, and fox hunting late last season and bought a gun for the job at a phenomenal price at a fundraiser. It's a Remington 700, SPS Varmint in .223.

Anyway, I'm pretty clueless about my scope needs. Does anybody have any recommendations on what power magnification I need? Can you help with a scope recommendation. I don't want to break the bank on this, but I'd be willing to put another few hundred in the scope.

I really need some advice. Thanks so much.

Hogbear

If you can live with a fixed power, I really like my Super Sniper 10x42. It's a dorky name but it's a very clear and bright scope with repeatable adjustments. I am always a little worried about not having lower powers available in case a close shot presents itself but so far it hasn't been a problem. Looks cool and all tactikul on my AR-15 too. $299.99

http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper- ... copes.aspx

gil1

Hillbilly Hunter said:
if you are going to be making woods sets, I like the VX-III 3.5x40. If you are going to be making field sets with 400 yard shot or more, I would go with the 4.5-14.

I just can't go that high. Best price I found was $479. I'm thinking $200-300. I'm just not sure how dedicated I am to varminting yet, so I can't spend that kind of money. Thanks, though.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Look at these 6.5-20 Simmons Scopes. I was wanting a cheap scope to go on a 223 last year and bit on one of these. It's amazingly clear for the price. If you don't want to invest a lot I'd recommend one of these. Midways gets a quantity specially made up for them occasionally and can offer them at about half price. I really like the granite finish.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Model70Man

Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14. Excellent glass and price. You can find them all day long for $200-$250 on ebay. Very under rated scope.

statelineRUT

In the predator world field of view is more important to you than magnification. I would fair to say that you would not need over a 3-9x40 for predators around here. I always setup on my stands on 3 power to give me the largest filed of view I can get. That is just my preference. I always let the coyote get as close as he will before I attempt a shot. Usually that is under 100 yards. 3-9 is perfect for that situation. In the predator world higher magnification will cost more than it will gain you.

Locksley

Hillbilly Hunter said:
if you are going to be making woods sets, I like the VX-III 3.5x40. If you are going to be making field sets with 400 yard shot or more, I would go with the 4.5-14.

camoman270 said:
Good advice Hillbilly!

gil1 said:
Hillbilly Hunter said:

I just can't go that high. Best price I found was $479. I'm thinking $200-300. I'm just not sure how dedicated I am to varminting yet, so I can't spend that kind of money. Thanks, though.

Find a used 4.5-14. or 3X9 X40 that will do.
If you can live with a fixed power aqnd want a serious scopt get a a used Unertl scope 15 power external adjustment scope and learn how to use it.
http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/ ... Public.asp

gil1

Great info., guys, and I really appreciate it. I'm reading up on everything. If you have moreadvice, please feel free to keep it coming. Thanks.

Latest posts