UT vs ut

PillsburyDoughboy

You know How you can tell the difference between the UT (university of TEXAS) vs ut (university of tn) logo? The vols logo is broken just like the team.

Let the season begin. :)

Attachments

• 00099977e0aae97af38affe04a2c44bf.png
    00099977e0aae97af38affe04a2c44bf.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 30
  • E7B_9v-XsAE8yxK.jpg
    E7B_9v-XsAE8yxK.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 24

volboy

Actually there was almost a lawsuit over the interlocking UT between the 2 universities back in the mid 80s. They came to an agreement as noted below. One of my professors in a Business Law was one of the attorneys that worked on this for Tennessee. We would hear about it a lot during his class. At about this time is also when Tennessee went predominantly to the Power T an away from the UT logo. Then funny about 15 or so years later Texas began using their version the power T.

In 1986 the University of Tennessee and the University of Texas agreed to share the well-known interlocking "UT" trademark that both schools use. Tennessee applied for registration of the trademark for the sale of jewelry, paper, metal and leather goods, as well as printed matter, housewares, glassware, and clothing. Texas owned registration of the trademark for educational and entertainment goods. Tennessee's and Texas's trademarks are different but similar enough to cause confusion to manufacturers, who have used them interchangeably in the past. The agreement gave Texas commercial rights to the trademark west of the Mississippi River and Tennessee the rights east of the Mississippi and in West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana (home of LSU).

THEdonkey0515

"During the battle of the Alamo in 1836 famous Tennessean Davy Crocket led a group of 12 Tennesseans known as the "Tennessee Mounted Volunteers". In the Mexican-American war the secretary of state asked for 2800 volunteers from Tennessee, he ended up with 30,000"
"Sam Huston led the army of Tennessee volunteers to fight for Texas independence from Mexico. Huston used the famous phrase "remember the Alamo" to rally his troops to a victory."

"It was after this famous charge by Tennesseans led by Sam Huston when the nickname of the Tennessee Volunteers really stuck"

This alone should give Tennessee the right to be called the real UT.

buckaroo

"During the battle of the Alamo in 1836 famous Tennessean Davy Crocket led a group of 12 Tennesseans known as the "Tennessee Mounted Volunteers". In the Mexican-American war the secretary of state asked for 2800 volunteers from Tennessee, he ended up with 30,000"
"Sam Huston led the army of Tennessee volunteers to fight for Texas independence from Mexico. Huston used the famous phrase "remember the Alamo" to rally his troops to a victory."

"It was after this famous charge by Tennesseans led by Sam Huston when the nickname of the Tennessee Volunteers really stuck"

This alone should give Tennessee the right to be called the real UT.
A real reason and nickname for a state actually cannot think of one better, absolutely better than crimson tide which actually a reddish algae that washes up on a state with the least amount of seashore lol

Bamamonts

Not arguing who has a better nickname. Alabama's name doesn't have anything to do with the ocean or algae.
I always like hearing about the tradition of different universities. I think the volunteers is a cool nickname and probably one of the better ones but why the ugly orange? 😂

Bamamonts

Actually there was almost a lawsuit over the interlocking UT between the 2 universities back in the mid 80s. They came to an agreement as noted below. One of my professors in a Business Law was one of the attorneys that worked on this for Tennessee. We would hear about it a lot during his class. At about this time is also when Tennessee went predominantly to the Power T an away from the UT logo. Then funny about 15 or so years later Texas began using their version the power T.

In 1986 the University of Tennessee and the University of Texas agreed to share the well-known interlocking "UT" trademark that both schools use. Tennessee applied for registration of the trademark for the sale of jewelry, paper, metal and leather goods, as well as printed matter, housewares, glassware, and clothing. Texas owned registration of the trademark for educational and entertainment goods. Tennessee's and Texas's trademarks are different but similar enough to cause confusion to manufacturers, who have used them interchangeably in the past. The agreement gave Texas commercial rights to the trademark west of the Mississippi River and Tennessee the rights east of the Mississippi and in West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana (home of LSU).
That's pretty interesting. I didn't know this was an issue.

Gravey

Not arguing who has a better nickname. Alabama's name doesn't have anything to do with the ocean or algae.
I always like hearing about the tradition of different universities. I think the volunteers is a cool nickname and probably one of the better ones but why the ugly orange? 😂

I always forget the flower but knew they grew on The Hill which is right behind the stadium.

IMG_4521.jpeg

PillsburyDoughboy

After Sark and his ugly puke orange men beat the gumps this year y'all will be wanting to hire him.
I usually reserve the ugly puke orange to refer to that other ut but ok :) Sark is a excellent Co-coordinator but has a long way to go from being a Head Coach.

Latest posts