Using Loctite on scope rings?

Arse

From what I gather, the consensus seems to be that you should use Loctite on the screws when mounting the base to the gun, but NOT on the screws securing the scope rings together.

I don't understand that. Seems to me you wouldn't want to have those rings get loose either, so a dab of Loctite would be wise.

So why do most of the opinions I see advise against it?

(Of course I am referring to the blue removable type of Loctite)

TiminTN

Torx head screws get nothing, allen head, your call I use nothing. Flat blade Weaver style screws, either use hollow ground bits and get them tight and use nothing, or if questionable fit on screwdriver use the blue Locktite.

Arse

Thanks for your responses.

My screws are Allen head -- I don't think I would have any trouble putting enough torque on them to break the Loctite if the need arose.

I am actually using the Permatex brand of blue threadlocker -- couldn't find the Loctite brand. I installed the mount yesterday and plan on setting the scope tonight, hence my question.

BTW, I don't fiddle around and swap out scopes constantly -- I like to set things up right the first time and leave it alone. Maybe I should just use JB Weld. :eek:

Tiny

I never use any locktite for mounting a scope. If done right it isn't needed IMO. Degrease all screws and parts with alochol light REAL light coat of oil under the bases/ top of action minus the screws and holes.

I take the never part back as I just remembered I did use it once on the grooves of the grooved base for a friends for a buddys Sako 7 STW still likely wasn't needed.

Arse

Thunderroost said:
bases always...rings never

OK, I see people say this all the time, but I don't understand why.

Could you help me understand the reason why it would be bad to put Loctite on rings?

I am not an expert on such things, but it just seems like it couldn't hurt anything and might be cheap insurance against a missed shot someday due to a loose scope.

A

Anonymous

I could see base but not rings simply because sometimes you need heat to break it.

cdw338

For the 14 rifles that I can remenber right now. They are from 22 cal to 338 cal and all have scopes, some of them being used as far back as the 1960's.

Some of them have loctite on the bases and none have them on the
rings.

Just my opinion I don't think it is needed. Some of the scopes
are as large as 50MM, no problem.

I have worked in maintenance all my life and the use of loc-tite/anti seize (breech plugs) is a must for me, just use the right one for the right job. I use soft set or low strength on all scope base and ring screws, you may not have to have it but it does not hurt. The scope rings that I have the worst trouble with were almost always installed wrong, usually with one side bottomed out instead of haveing clearance on both sides of the ring.

Thunderroost

Arse said:
Thunderroost said:
bases always...rings never

OK, I see people say this all the time, but I don't understand why.

Could you help me understand the reason why it would be bad to put Loctite on rings?

I am not an expert on such things, but it just seems like it couldn't hurt anything and might be cheap insurance against a missed shot someday due to a loose scope.

i wouldn't claim to be an expert either, but I have never found it necessary. I have seen bases loosen, but not rings. I have had to drill out the screws on more than one ring screw to get them loose after stripping them trying to get them out, though...

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I clean and degrease the screws and holes first and the mount bases with Loctite 242. I only use it on the bases because I don't usually wind up ever changing bases. I do change scopes sometimes though so I don't use any on the rings. It probably isn't necessary even for the bases but I like to use it since many times the base screws aren't accessible to check for tightness like those of the rings.

TN deer hunter

I have never used it and don't plan on using it, but the question did come up one day talking to my gunsmith and he told me never to use it period that it was not necessary.

BucknBass

It's not necessary on rings, even for heavy recoiling rifles. As someone else pointed out someitmes you need heat to remove even the blue stuff. I don't want to "heat up" my scope.

I have never had to heat screws to remove them on a gun that I installed rings or bases on, soft set loc-tite is more for vibration resistance than holding power, easy to break loose. Most problems are caused poor installation practices.
Good point on degreasing Whelen Man, very important to get a good grip with or with out Loc-tite.

8pointbetter

my gun is at the gunsmithes right now because of this very thing the front base on my a-bolt has a allen wrench broke off in it and the other screw has an extracter bit broke in it. and I used the blue lock tite. go figure never had a problem.

Latest posts