UPS MAN

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Jesus that is beautiful country. I need to talk to you for sure. When are you planning on leaving for Co? My computers hard drive crashed last week and I'm just now getting back on line. Whats it take to hunt goats in and around there? I wouldn't be above shooting a nice billy goat.

PO Cedar

I'm leaving for Colorado next Thursday. I'm just marking time. I'm going to Waverly Saturday morning to put out some food plots then drive up to Dover to get my trailer and start packing.

Radar

PO Cedar said:
I'm leaving for Colorado next Thursday. I'm just marking time. I'm going to Waverly Saturday morning to put out some food plots then drive up to Dover to get my trailer and start packing.

Good luck on your trip ! :cool:

4onaside

PO Cedar said:
http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/558703379rCdNIk
Some of these pics are of the area I am looking to do the sheep hunt next year. Key in on the "Mystic Lake" and Crazy Mtns. pics.
Cedar, we encounter quite a few sheep around Creede, and we have found them to be quite tame. Frankly, that particular population would not be much of a hunting challenge. Down on hwy 149, the ewes have a habit of lounging around on the rocks just off the highway, and we have had to honk to get rams on Pool Table Mountain Road to move out of the way of our vehicle. Maybe if you were trying to sneak up on them with stick and string it would be a little different, but the way that these react to people, I'm suspect!

PO Cedar

4onaside, sorry for the two separate posts going. I'm looking at hunting sheep next year in Montana. The Colorado trip is for elk and mule deer this year. I've had several close encounters with the sheep in Colorado too,particularly around Salida,Cotapoxi on Hwy. #50 and on Hwy. #69 around Texas Creek. Some had collars on and were feeding down towards the road from off the rocks. Others were along the Arkansas River watering. The areas I am looking at in Montana are "unlimited" licenses because it is almost impossible to find/kill a sheep in these areas. Also, the unit I was looking at has never had a sheep killed by a bowhunter, only with rifles. Pretty exciting stuff when you add the grizzlies are using the same area.

4onaside

I understood you were refering to Montana on the sheep deal. I was just commenting on the relative "wildness" of the Creede area sheep that I have encountered. Frankly,there wouldn't be much of problem killing one of those, particularly with a rifle. Incidentally, it is a neat drive down 50 from Salida to Pueblo, other than you need to watch what you are doing with all of the curves. Oh well, at least if you went off the road, the fall wouldn't be all that far, just into the Arkansas river!

PO Cedar

I haven't fully decided on the sheep hunt. It was just something I always wanted to do after reading some of Jim Doughtery's and Chuck Adams bowhunting articles back in my "young whippersnapper" days and when I found out last year that it was possible(since I haven't applied for 20 yrs.) to still hunt a sheep I figured I'd better put it in a planning stage before I got too old or Montana eliminated the unlimited draw hunts altogether. It will either happen in the next couple of years or I'l scrap the ideal.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Good luck on your trip in Co there PO. Be sure to take plenty of pics for us guys stuck back here. How long are you gonna be gone for again...a month?

PO Cedar

WHEW!! It's too hot here. I'm leaving Thursday and will be back here for the 23rd-24th of September if all goes as planned. I just got the truck and trailer loaded this morning so I'm liable to get antsy and just mosey on out of here early. They're predicting 100 degrees here and the 10 day forecast out there is 75 degrees high/57 degrees low. Sounds pretty good to me. I HATE SUMMER MYSELF---

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I'M HATING SUMMER right there with you. I honestly do not understand how people survived before a/c. If I was you, I'da left like 30 minutes ago. Surely there is some remnants of snow somewhere out there :grin: I'd be making my camp right on top of it.

Latest posts