Update request: Thompson Center

CHRIS WILSON

That's what I'm trying to talk him into. I seriously doubt there would be much difference in an Optima or Accura at the distances we hunt. The VAST majority of our shots are under 75 yards (the average being 35 yards). Only across a food plot would a 100+ yard shot be possible, and older bucks in food plots during daylight is a pretty rare sight on our place.
I have an Optima V2 that I've been shooting since 2017. At ranges sub 150 yards, I don't believe you'll notice any real difference in how the Optima shoots vs the Accura. I've shot that Optima out to 200 yards at the range on many an occasion and it'll easily keep groups within the kill zone once you figure out the dope at that range. Other than my .45 caliber Knight Ultra-lite, it's also got one of the best triggers I've felt on any rifle.

squirrel_hunter

I usually hunt with a Remington 700 50 cal. But last yr i bought a new cva. Its a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. It came with a Konus 3x9x40 muzzleloader scope. I ordered a Leopold 3x9x40mm ML scope to replace it. I am very happy with my cva so far. Only killed 2 deer with it. I like how easy the barrel cleans up. Mine has a 28 inch barrel. And with hornady 250gr sst sabot it shoots under a 1 inch at 100 yds. For the money cva is hard too beat.

BSK

I usually hunt with a Remington 700 50 cal. But last yr i bought a new cva. Its a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. It came with a Konus 3x9x40 muzzleloader scope. I ordered a Leopold 3x9x40mm ML scope to replace it. I am very happy with my cva so far. Only killed 2 deer with it. I like how easy the barrel cleans up. Mine has a 28 inch barrel. And with hornady 250gr sst sabot it shoots under a 1 inch at 100 yds. For the money cva is hard too beat.
I keep trying to tell my brother that he won't notice the difference in an Optima versus an Accura at the distances we shoot (95% inside 80 yards)

BSK

Use a sidelock like a real man 8:)
If you go to "modern muzzleloader forum" there are usually several for sale.
That's the problem, he is! An old Hawken, which can't hold a candle to a modern inline in accuracy and dependability, let alone the fact the side-hammer has open sights. In his late 60s, open sights is NOT the way to go!

RockMcL

View attachment 146894
My ladder stand is tucked in just behind the cedar on the left…

His last day was in mid November just 75 yards down the ridge.

View attachment 146895

I'm a fffg Guy myself, plus a little ffffg .
My weapon of choice…

View attachment 146897
Slowly working on a TVA Flintlock Fowler kit and a matching (20gauge) French Calvary Flintlock pistol kit. Should have them both done by November season. On my land 50% of my ML or Rifle shots are inside of 50 yards. Going back to Flint will give my sons more opportunity to harvest better bucks since my longer shots are usually bigger bucks (with a scope).

RockMcL

That's the problem, he is! An old Hawken, which can't hold a candle to a modern inline in accuracy and dependability, let alone the fact the side-hammer has open sights. In his late 60s, open sights is NOT the way to go!
When I first started having eye problems I switched to a Encore 50 cal scoped. Changed the world for me & the deer...
Since then though I started getting my eyeglasses lenses updated ever two years and I can use open sights again.
Just something to think about.

I got my son a CVA a couple years back. Don't remember what model but it was very reasonable and accurate as long as we didn't go for top end on velocity/charge.

squirrel_hunter

I keep trying to tell my brother that he won't notice the difference in an Optima versus an Accura at the distances we shoot (95% inside 80 yards)
I was going to buy a accura at the time. Muzzleloader.com was out of the model that i wanted. Went locally and ran across the Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. I am glad i went and looked. Money i save between the too. I bought extra blackhorn. I wanted the long range model with long barrel. Ordered the Leopold Muzzle loader scope. Wanted that setup in case i get to go antelope hunting.

Smo

Slowly working on a TVA Flintlock Fowler kit and a matching (20gauge) French Calvary Flintlock pistol kit. Should have them both done by November season. On my land 50% of my ML or Rifle shots are inside of 50 yards. Going back to Flint will give my sons more opportunity to harvest better bucks since my longer shots are usually bigger bucks (with a scope).

Sounds like you've got a plan R McL👍
Those TVM's are great guns.
Post pics of your kit when it's done.👍
I'd love too see the pistol too….
Good Luck this season, those boys are going too love the flintlock experience…!!
Just make sure they get sometime too shoot some before season starts if possible…
Flintlocks can have a learning curve , but they're the most exciting type of hunting whitetails that I've experienced… aside from archery.
Everything is up close and personal….🤞

RockMcL

Sounds like you've got a plan R McL👍
Those TVM's are great guns.
Post pics of your kit when it's done.👍
I'd love too see the pistol too….
Good Luck this season, those boys are going too love the flintlock experience…!!
Just make sure they get sometime too shoot some before season starts if possible…
Flintlocks can have a learning curve , but they're the most exciting type of hunting whitetails that I've experienced… aside from archery.
Everything is up close and personal….🤞
HaHa This year will be all me with the Flintlocks. Our land is almost all forest with only mini or micro plots here or there. Hunt the trails..
Every year I try to leave the big boys for my sons but with a scoped ml or rifle I usually end up end up dropping the biggest one because I know the trails and therefore the shooting gaps best.

I don't know about you but when I see a mature bucks heart or neck through a gap and that scope I forget my son's names... (obviously unless bucked out)

Sticking to bow, crossbow, and open sights whether my little Henry 45colt, percussion Hawken, or now Flintlock Fowler is my way of hampering myself to give them more chance for the big guys.

Honestly a 3 year old buck at 10 yards is more exciting to me than that 5 year old at 150 yards. Now if I see the 5 year old in close I will start forgetting names again!!!

tndave59

I bought a CVA Optima a few years ago just like the one shown in the Midsouth ad above. Bought it because was having a horrible time trying to find anything and don't regret it in the least.

kamml

I bought a black powder TC Strike maybe three years ago. Talk about an orphan rifle.

The optics mounts push the scope too far away from your eye so you have to move your face way too far forward. The mounts are such that it's impossible to mount a plain Picatinny rail to use offset rings to push it back to where you can get a full-scope picture.

Now it's not only an orphan rifle its turned into a Rosie O'Donnell. I still like its looks for a muzzleloader, but that doesn't help with the scope mount.

Smo

trex,

My hunting rifle is a .54 cal Tip Curtis made 42" Colerain barrel with radius bottom rifling with a Pete Allen flintlock.
I shoot 70 grns of fffg Goex and a .530 roundball.

RIP Mr Tip

7F288E0B-DDA8-408B-BA2A-CF9BBFE20CE6.png

Last edited:

BSK

Since then though I started getting my eyeglasses lenses updated ever two years and I can use open sights again.
Just something to think about.
All depends on your vision problem. I'm very far-sighted and growing worse all the time. My vision prescription is dead on, but because of the bifocals needed to see anything close to my face (like the back sight), anything far is way out of focus. Open-sights are not an option for me.

BSK

My brother finally bought a CVA Optima V2 LR in brown nitride barrel, camo thumbhole stock. He didn't want the camo thumbhole stock but that was the only way he could get the brown nitride barrel. Believe he's mounting a Vortex 3-9 scope on it.

RockMcL

All depends on your vision problem. I'm very far-sighted and growing worse all the time. My vision prescription is dead on, but because of the bifocals needed to see anything close to my face (like the back sight), anything far is way out of focus. Open-sights are not an option for me.
Yes, everyone is different.
Guessing I am at a midpoint where my eyes and glasses have a different impact than say 10 years ago.
Longer guns work better, for me, like the longer infantry Sharps instead of carbine. But with a scope on any gun or crossbow I am sure to hit exactly where I aim. Form, muscle memory, breath control, trigger control, and 3 dimensional understanding of target don't leave us as we age...

BSK

Scope is the only way I can shoot anymore but I have to be careful how I look through it so I'm using the correct section of my progressive bifocals.

Latest posts