Thompson Center closing their doors?!

Union Co. Boy

Maybe I'm a little late to the party in this one, but my buddy was told by a CVA representative at the NWTF convention that T/C is going out of business and there have been no offers of interest in taking over in the last 4 months. Is this news to y'all or did I just miss the announcement? I use T/C products almost exclusively concerning my muzzleloader, and have enjoyed great success and quality concerning their products.

smyrnagc

DaveTN

I hate to see any American Gun Manufacturer go by the wayside. I always did think TC was kinda odd for S&W. I just figured they may have seen it as a bolt action market. But that's a tough market to crack.

I'm not familiar with the muzzleloader market or the single shot market. maybe someone will see an opportunity there.

The Contender appeared to be a big deal. But it appeared to me there was always confusion on what was compatible with what in the new vs. old.

Union Co. Boy

I love my Pro Hunter. I just want to be able to address any issues that may arise with it. I use Shockwave bullets so stocked up on them last night. Also going to buy a couple of breech plugs just in case. That should hold me for the foreseeable future. May get a spare ramrod as well.

Jcalder

I love my Pro Hunter. I just want to be able to address any issues that may arise with it. I use Shockwave bullets so stocked up on them last night. Also going to buy a couple of breech plugs just in case. That should hold me for the foreseeable future. May get a spare ramrod as well.
The shockwaves are sst bullets made by Hornady

east_tn_gk

That is news to me. I have had 2 of their muzzleloaders and haven't had any complaints. I hate to hear this, maybe someone will purchase that line and keep it going. I do think their muzzleloaders have a pretty good following and they are American made which appeals to a lot of folks (myself included).

Union Co. Boy

The shockwaves are sst bullets made by Hornady
I agree. The reason I made the switch is because the old SST bullets with the black sabot fit my gun perfectly. However, the newer red sabots do not get a good gas seal in my gun for some reason. They have to be thinner. I tried the Shockwaves and it resolved the issue. I would never have switched had this problem not arisen. I love the SST as well. I also like shooting the 200 grain bullet that T/C offers with BH209. I get better groups and outstanding on game performance. Everything I have shot has dropped in sight. I admit, I'm a stickler for shot placement though.

Jcalder

I agree. The reason I made the switch is because the old SST bullets with the black sabot fit my gun perfectly. However, the newer red sabots do not get a good gas seal in my gun for some reason. They have to be thinner. I tried the Shockwaves and it resolved the issue. I would never have switched had this problem not arisen. I love the SST as well. I also like shooting the 200 grain bullet that T/C offers with BH209. I get better groups and outstanding on game performance. Everything I have shot has dropped in sight. I admit, I'm a stickler for shot placement though.
Someone with more knowledge could tell you what sabots they use, but I'd guess they're an mmp. Just not sure which version. But the sabot issue makes sense stocking up on one over the other.

GMB54

Newer SSTs used the MMP 3P-EZ. Older ones im not 100% sure but its either MMP HPH-24 or HPH-12. The Shockwaves look to me like MMP "short black" but again im not 100% sure. That is what they look like in the pics i can find.

The 200gr Shockwaves are MMP blue 50x40s for sure.

If you show me a good pic of the powder side of the shockwave sabot YOU have i can tell you for sure.

Ignore the color. Notice the number. One looks etched and the other looks stamped into the mold

Etched is HPH-12. Stamped is HPH-24
K6DaGXU.jpg

Last edited:

Union Co. Boy

Newer SSTs used the MMP 3P-EZ. Older ones im not 100% sure but its either MMP HPH-24 or HPH-12. The Shockwaves look to me like MMP "short black" but again im not 100% sure. That is what they look like in the pics i can find.

If you show me a good pic of the powder side of the shockwave sabot YOU have i can tell you for sure.

Ignore the color. Notice the number. One looks etched and the other looks stamped into the mold

K6DaGXU.jpg
Hey thanks! That's awesome info. Helpful for sure. I'll look when I can. Had hernia surgery today and can't get out of the danged bed.

Bell3wv

Maybe I'm a little late to the party in this one, but my buddy was told by a CVA representative at the NWTF convention that T/C is going out of business and there have been no offers of interest in taking over in the last 4 months. Is this news to y'all or did I just miss the announcement? I use T/C products almost exclusively concerning my muzzleloader, and have enjoyed great success and quality concerning their products.
This is an unholy travshamockery! I feel like Smith and Wesson squandered a great opportunity when they acquire T/C.

41Magnum

I was told (rumored) that the reason S&W acquired T/C was for the bolt guns. They weren't much interested in the rest of the line.
Right now the options for barrels are Match Grade Machine, SSK Firearms, Bellmtc, EABCO and they're may be more. SSK is coming out with a modernized version of the T/C Contender frame this spring called the SSK-50 Receiver.
Thompson Center, IMO made a great muzzleloader too. I've had several over the years and they all shot well. I've got a original Contender 10" pistol in 41 Magnum, a 15" G2 in a custom muzzleloader, G2 custom 14" barrel in 6.5 BRM (6.5 x 30-30 Improved), T/C Impact muzzleloader rifle, T/C Encore frame and getting ready to have a 15" custom barrel made in 7mm-08. Also Haus of Arms has T/C stuff as well.

Union Co. Boy

K6DaGXU.jpg
Sorry I didn't see this. Mine are blue for sure. I'll check the number.

Union Co. Boy

I own a bunch of T/C Venture rifles, nary a one what won't shoot very small groups. Won competitions with, of all things a bone stock Venture in 25-06...
Traded my Venture 25-06 to a Winchester Model 70. My buddy's kids hunt with it now. It's a tack driver. Fantastic guns for the price.