Unfortunately, I killed nine turkeys...

Coach

Yesterday while mowing hay...I guess it's possible I scared the hen off the day before while cutting and an egg sucker visited in the night...they don't seem to squashed...either way, DANG!!
Turkeyeggsbusted.jpg

Coach

steven stone said:
Hate to see that, I noticed a hen was hanging out alot up by the highway on your place when I would pass by. I figured the way the fields had grass that there would be several nests.

Yep, there were two hens that I saw there and both had a bunch of little ones about two weeks apart. They are still hanging around along with another hen. I saw a tom in full strut the other evening but had left my camera at the house...came right across my field.

4onaside

Isn't it very late for a nest to still be active? I wonder if that nest had already been abadoned, for whatever reason? I once found a nest with unbroken eggs still intact in November.

4onaside

Isn't it very late for a nest to still be active? I wonder if that nest had already been abandoned, for whatever reason? I once found a nest with unbroken eggs still intact in November.

4onaside

4onaside said:
Isn't it very late for a nest to still be active? I wonder if that nest had already been abandoned, for whatever reason? I once found a nest with unbroken eggs still intact in November.
Stutterer lol

Coach

4onaside said:

I ran the hen out of there the day before while cutting hay. I stood up on the tractor looking for eggs or chicks as a cut the area but didn't see any. I think the hen would not have been there if she wasn't tending the eggs...I checked it out again yesterday evening and I definitely didn't hit the eggs so either the critters got to 'em or you're right and the chicks left...

4onaside

Coach said:
4onaside said:

I ran the hen out of there the day before while cutting hay. I stood up on the tractor looking for eggs or chicks as a cut the area but didn't see any. I think the hen would not have been there if she wasn't tending the eggs...I checked it out again yesterday evening and I definitely didn't hit the eggs so either the critters got to 'em or you're right and the chicks left...
I suppose that another possibility might be that very young hens(jennys) might nest a little later than older birds, although I have absolutely no facts to back that up. It formerly was thought that one year old birds didn't nest at all, but turkey biologists have pretty much laid that theory to rest.

Coach

4onaside said:
Coach said:
4onaside said:

I suppose that another possibility might be that very young hens(jennys) might nest a little later than older birds, although I have absolutely no facts to back that up. It formerly was thought that one year old birds didn't nest at all, but turkey biologists have pretty much laid that theory to rest.

This was a mature hen I jumped out with the tractor...

4onaside

I hope that there are still broods "making" in my area, because we certainly have not seen the first poult to date, unlike reports from other areas.

Coach

4onaside...I'm not sure the reason, I could guess, but my area has lots of turkey. I had a hen in the front yard the other day with 7 chicks about the size of baseballs and another down my drive with a number of chicks the size of grouse. Here's hoping you get a few your way...

Team Turpin

4onaside said:

I have seen hens still on nest and not hatch any till late July and the poults not be much bigger than young chickens in the Fall season.

If they lose there first nests they will go back and rebreed is what causes it.

Latest posts