Food Plots Ugh... One off best clover plots

tellico4x4

Got some work to do šŸ˜­
IMG_20230518_162327345~2.jpg

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Clearly some of that thistle is well established! It's got a big stool root and gonna be hard to kill.
Mow, let it start back and spray, wait a few weeks and repeat, keep it mowed.

A note about thistle!
Established thistle begins growing very early. It will push up a big crown in early march. It's easy to identify and easy to kill it dead spot spraying with crossbow and crop oil or dawn or diesel as a surfactant.
At this point you have to practically kill every leaf on it to keep it from making seed.

tellico4x4

Some of it showed up last year in that plot and I didn't jump on it enough. The drought last year really beat that old clover plot back & extreme cold at first of year didn't do it any favors either. I was at it in late March and there were crowns all over the middle of it and I thought that "I'll take care of that later", well later is now šŸ¤£. Couldn't believe that it was head high when I looked at it Thursday. Good news I guess is that it's only in middle of plot I'd guess 1/4 acre out of 2-1/2 has it. Lesson learned.

tellico4x4

Great idea but doubt timber company would be enthralled with it šŸ¤£

When I redo clover I like to give the ground a years break before going back with clover. Will plant annual there this fall to scavage the nitrogen. Maybe brassicas.

Mowed it the other day & still quite a bit of clover under all that junk. Will leave it till late summer to let does, fawns & turkey have clover. Typical to have 10-15 each day there in summer

BSK

I assumed it was your land. I have a lot of grass where I am planning to replant clover this fall. I will probably cut a break around it, spray it and then burn it after it browns up. Have had pretty good results in the past doing that way.
I bet that works great.