Food Plots Turnips??

Poleaxe

I have a spot that has soybeans over each field. I not sure but I would think harvesting them is not to long away. They are little higher than waist tall. The farmer always plants wheat after he havests them. If they are cut within the next month would it be to early/late to plant turnips? I was thinking about putting it on top of the soil before he replows for the wheat. I have seen a lot of deer around turnips and didn't know when the planting window closes and opens?

PickettSFHunter

You would want at least 60 days before first frost, I prefer 75 days. I doubt harvest of soybeans would hit that window, green beans yes but soybeans are harvested late September up to late November in my area. You wouldn't want turnip seeds plowed under either, they barely need to be covered, just top sowing can work well.

ADR

Smstone is right. Bean harvest is still quite a ways out. Turnips would probably germinate if you planted them but bulb production would likely be minimal. Australian winter peas maybe. Be curious to see other recommendations.

longnosedoe

It all depends on the grouping of the beans. I have harvested many beans in late August and early September before. If it is a full season bean then most likely the above dates will hold true but if not you may be in luck. Turnips can be sown from late August till mid Sept. I would rather be earlier than later for bigger bulb production.

Boll Weevil

Hunter 257W said:
I would think the farmer wouldn't want turnips growing in his wheat even if you could time it right to do so??
I thought the exact same thing but maybe the wheat is just as a cover crop?

ADR

Generic soybeans gets harvested typically well after the leaves yellow and most times just about all leaves are off the plant. What farmers are looking for is moisture content of the beans. Weather conditions in the next couple months will really dictate when harvest will be. I too would ask the farmer if they mind you putting some seeds down.
I learned to operate the combine/grain cart and it's much appreciated by my farmer friend and it goes a long way for the both of us.

Poleaxe

The guy that has the farming rights (not the owner) he and I don't get along really good. He doesn't know it yet but this harvest will be his last one. His lease runs to spring and they aren't renewing his farming lease. So that's why I'm not gonna ask the farmer. If I saw him he wouldn't get anything but a severe beating for stealing my son's shooting house last year.

Latest posts