Turkey Calls.....

Grizzly Johnson

How many of you turkey hunters use an "off the shelf/production line" call or do you use a "custom/handmade" turkey call..... If it's custom, what brand and type is it?

Just curious.....

I have a few pot calls I would like to get before season.... specifically a glass Perfection pot call and a Supreme pot call to see how they sound.

catman529

See my thread on making a tube call video....I make my own tube calls that sound pretty decent. I'm going to buy a cheap diaphragm call though so I can learn how to use one of those as well. Maybe I will figure out how to make one of those as well.

bvoss

I got on the Woodhaven train two years ago and haven't looked back since. They can be a little pricey, but the sound they produce is head and shoulders above the competition imo.

Lawrence

I have used every off the shelf Brand name calls out there
And after 25 plus years of Turkey Hunting I have decided to go with some custom calls this year. Plan to pick up a couple at the NWTF convention this February. Looking for a good Box and maby a slate or scratch box

Blount County Hunter

I use a handmade box call made by a good friend for me, and a custom made wingbone call that my dad made, and a turtle shell with glass in it that another buddy made, but I prefer my lucky strike slate call, I think that's the name, it has a custom colored striker that came with it, but its good to seperate yourself from other hunters when hunting pressured birds, they have heard almost every off the shelf product made, and are way less likely to come to a call they have heard before and might associate that call with danger, a custom call gives you that extra edge on them

REN

I prefer to use a semi custom style call maker personally like woodhaven (my #1 choice) it is a very good semi custom call that is mass produced but still has a custom feel and sound to it. I tend to shy away from full on custom unless i know the maker or can use the call quite a bit before buying it. There are a TON of really crappy sounding custom calls out there that look great but sound nothing like a turkey.

for mouth calls i just go with ones i like and woodhaven/legacy and cane creek are prob my favs to use in the mouth call category although knight and hale and HS are decent depending on what you like.

chrmayo

I have a Roberts Brothers pot call thats got glass on top and slate on bottom. I really like it, I think I gave 45 for it at the NWTF convention. Mouth calls I really like the Woodhaven calls.

A

Anonymous

I've tried a bunch of diaphram calls and I've been buy'n woodhaven for the last sevral years but at $10 each its get'n old, try'n others this year.

Gotta friend that buys the cheap wally world stuff and he wears the birds out every year, to me all the wally world stuff sounds like squeak toys.

I have 1 custom built copper pot and it dont sound as good as my Primos power crystal, it aint bad dont get me wrong but it aint great, but I am gonna try at least one more custom later on and see how it does just out of curiouisity.

TheAirMan

I've mostly used production calls. I've used some I have put together myself from components I've bought online. I think I have decided to go the custom route though. I got a Lights Out glass call I want to use for the first time this spring. I want to order a slate call to before season.

Andy S.

I have used both for the past 10 years but my go to custom friction calls (slate and aluminum) were made by David Halloran from NY.
http://www.davidhalloranturkeycalls.com/ He makes a great call and he is a great guy all around.

I just ordered a copper pot from Daryl Slaton that I am anxiously awaiting. I have also heard great things about copper pots made by Andy Kaiser. http://www.kaiserkalls.com/

I typically order mouth calls made by Southland, Hooks and XT calls. All are great sounding calls.
http://www.southlandcalls.com/
http://hookscalls.com/shop/
http://www.xtcalls.net/index.html

I always use an older model Lynch Fool Proof box. I like the sound of some custom box calls but I know I will tear one up in the field as much as I run and gun, therefore I refuse to pay $100-200 for one only to break it while hunting. I have been trying to learn how to use a trumpet call but not much success yet. I have a friend that can run one good and he can make a turkey gobble with it when NO other call will, period. He may not be able to work the turkey and call him in to the gun every time, but it is almost 100% on pulling a gobble out of a turkey at a distance. I hope to learn how to use one in the near future so I can add one of them to my arsenal. My .02

Bigg E

Andy S. said:
I have been trying to learn how to use a trumpet call but not much success yet. I have a friend that can run one good and he can make a turkey gobble with it when NO other call will, period. He may not be able to work the turkey and call him in to the gun every time, but it is almost 100% on pulling a gobble out of a turkey at a distance. I hope to learn how to use one in the near future so I can add one of them to my arsenal. My .02

I have a wingbone and it will get a turkey to gobble when nothing else will, but it is challenging to use. I usually practice with it a good bit. If you ever learn how to cut on it you will be amazed how well it works to locate a bird.

TurkeyBurd

Fall hunt.... and all those calls sound just like a FALL flock.

Several sounds,some you have never heard.

Tapes sell.....fall turkey flocks teach you how to call.

My opinion!!

Latest posts