TSS

TheLBLman

I've been using the Federal branded TSS loads since they came out with it, and before then, their older "heavyweight" turkey loads were also top-notch.

Strange as it may seem, the #9 size TSS is far deadlier (farther, closer, any range) than #5 copper-plated lead. The pattern density of #9 TSS is unreal, and more uniform than lead.

I know some "like" Apex brand, but I have much confidence in Federals' quality control, and see no reason to change over to a new brand.

Roost 1

Look up Foxtrot Ammo…. Specifically the 20ga Crusher load. Of all commercially loaded TSS, Federal is prolly the worst performing….. Not saying its bad but there are better options……

Attachments

• C2442F18-A855-4499-9168-873F7066C067.jpeg
    C2442F18-A855-4499-9168-873F7066C067.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 47

danny1975

Last year. I was hunting kansas . So I switch up and started using tss #9 out of my 870 in 20 ga. I shoot one there at 54 yards and it dropped . I'm gunna start leaving my 12 in the safe lol. . But this is what I was patterning at 40 yards with a primos jellyhead max choke . I was using federal custom shop #9 . Actually only ones I seen that has 10 shells in a box .

Attachments

• 20210513_184214.jpg
    20210513_184214.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 76

megalomaniac

All me and the kids have used are the Federal #9 TSS for the past 4 years. Almost 30 kills, only 2 whiffs (one a clean miss at 15 yards, the other prob a cripple loss at 40y... but not because of the shells... my fault, switched from the original reduced recoil to their full power loads and didn't rezero the load.)

I'm sure the 1 5/8 loads from Hal, Apex, etc are a bit better, but prob just overkill if you are shooting 40y and in.

Boll Weevil

I've kilt'em deader than an anvil with both Federal 9s and 8/10 blends. Also, I like a tight pattern core out of my long barrel so there's less chance of fliers into the breast. You DO NOT want to bite down on one of those lil'boogers.

scn

I've been using the Federal branded TSS loads since they came out with it, and before then, their older "heavyweight" turkey loads were also top-notch.

Strange as it may seem, the #9 size TSS is far deadlier (farther, closer, any range) than #5 copper-plated lead. The pattern density of #9 TSS is unreal, and more uniform than lead.

I know some "like" Apex brand, but I have much confidence in Federals' quality control, and see no reason to change over to a new brand.
BS on the far deadlier than lead #5. It approaches the lead and provides better patterns in the smaller gauges, but some of this TSS worship borders on ridiculousness.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

BS on the far deadlier than lead #5. It approaches the lead and provides better patterns in the smaller gauges, but some of this TSS worship borders on ridiculous.
I shot 2oz #5 lead out of my 10g gauge for 2 decades... its crazy deadly and accounted for around 100 birds. That being said, about 1 out of 8 to 10 slam dunk kill shots with the 10g the bird got away. Not because the lead didn't have the killing power at reasonable distances, but just because the head and neck slipped through the pattern.... that won't happen with properly choked #9 TSS. There just isn't any way you arent going to get at least a dozen pellets in the brain or spinal cord at 40y and in with the pattern density TSS throws with 1.5 oz. It's that good, it really is.

If you are shooting at reasonable distances (40y and in), TSS is FAR more ethical due to fewer crippling losses. Pull the trigger, punch the tag. No more shooting at 6 birds to get a 4 bird limit like happened with lead.

Again, this is at reasonable distances (40y and in)... beyond that TSS has the penetration to kill at 70 or even 80 yards, but the lack of pattern density is going to result in just as many crippling losses as kills... which just isn't ethical.

Rakkin6

BS on the far deadlier than lead #5. It approaches the lead and provides better patterns in the smaller gauges, but some of this TSS worship borders on ridiculousness.
I started shooting TSS last year. I did shoot it in my 12 gauge and the pattern density is just ridiculous. I think where TSS shines is in the sub gauges and the .410 bore. A 20 gauge with TSS throws a better pattern than a 12 with lead. But I agree out of a 12 gauge I don't really think it matters at 40 yards. I shot longbeard 3" #5 1 7/8 ounce and put a hurting on them prior to last year.

scn

I shot 2oz #5 lead out of my 10g gauge for 2 decades... its crazy deadly and accounted for around 100 birds. That being said, about 1 out of 8 to 10 slam dunk kill shots with the 10g the bird got away. Not because the lead didn't have the killing power at reasonable distances, but just because the head and neck slipped through the pattern.... that won't happen with properly choked #9 TSS. There just isn't any way you arent going to get at least a dozen pellets in the brain or spinal cord at 40y and in with the pattern density TSS throws with 1.5 oz. It's that good, it really is.

If you are shooting at reasonable distances (40y and in), TSS is FAR more ethical due to fewer crippling losses. Pull the trigger, punch the tag. No more shooting at 6 birds to get a 4 bird limit like happened with lead.

Again, this is at reasonable distances (40y and in)... beyond that TSS has the penetration to kill at 70 or even 80 yards, but the lack of pattern density is going to result in just as many crippling losses as kills... which just isn't ethical.
I started turkey hunting in 1971 or 72. I didn't kill (or shoot at) a bird until 1988. They were few and far between in the mountains of ETN during those years, and I made a BUNCH of rookie mistakes.

Since '88, I have killed a bird or two. During that time period, I "missed" two gobblers that I badly misjudged the range of. They may have been wounded, but showed no signs. I am certainly not proud of taking those shots as they were not in ethical ranges.

Absent of that, every bird (except one) I pulled the trigger on with my 12 ga and lead #5 dropped in their tracks and were DRT. Most didn't even flop. The bird that I had to shoot at a second time dropped his head at 18 yds as I was pulling the trigger. I grazed him and he went straight up and flew. I shot again, and he glided another 20 yds where I found him dead. Hard to have much more ethical results than that with a pretty darn large sample size.

TSS is great. I have partaken of the koolaid and own a bunch. I have used it to kill several birds. I'm convinced in my results that it is NO BETTER than my favorite lead loads in my 12 ga. Dead Right There is dead with either one. There is no doubt in my 20 ga that TSS is the load of choice.

The prices I am seeing right now for TSS, when you can even find it, are $10/12/shell. That is a load for some folks budget. IMO, it is a stretch to imply that TSS is some magic bullet and a hunter is not ethical if they aren't using it. Turkeys were killed for decades with lead, and, it will kill them just as dead right now. Ethical shots are determined by knowing what your gun will do, and limiting actual shots to where you have sufficient pattern to kill the bird in its tracks.

And, it can be done just as well with lead at least in the larger bores.

Chief44

I killed my first Turkey in the late 80's and have been fortunate enough to take my share of gobblers over the last 30 years or so. They were all taken with 3" or 3.5" 12 ga lead Turkey loads until I switched to TSS a few years ago. Initially, I was very hesitant to switch to TSS but I like to cover ground when I hunt and wanted a lighter more compact shotgun that didn't kick like a mule. I now hunt with either 20ga or 410 TSS #9's. Both pattern very well, are a joy to carry around and are flat out Turkey killers. I also come from the school of if I can't get him within 40 yards, I don't take the shot. So for what it's worth, my opinion is this, if you don't mind the extra weight and recoil of the 12 ga gun and loads, save your money and keep doing what your doing. If you want a lighter weight, easier to carry gun that doesn't jar your teeth, switch to a sub-gauge and TSS. Here are 40 yard patterns with my 20ga 870 compact and steven's 301 in 410. Both shooting federal #9 TSS. So far I've had good luck with the federal loads. I've got some Apex TSS in both gauges but haven't patterned them yet. Good luck.

Attachments

• 36EBB8AB-AF77-4A35-B5A3-A2857EE28045.png
    36EBB8AB-AF77-4A35-B5A3-A2857EE28045.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 43
  • C625F016-89F1-4024-ABAB-F8A51F4466D2.png
    C625F016-89F1-4024-ABAB-F8A51F4466D2.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 53

Bell3wv

Gonna make the move to a 20ga with TSS. I won't be reloading and it looks like #9's with 1.5 oz is what's out there. Seeing several places with Federal Heavyweight TSS available and that's about it. Assuming these would be fine but anybody with real world experien

Gonna make the move to a 20ga with TSS. I won't be reloading and it looks like #9's with 1.5 oz is what's out there. Seeing several places with Federal Heavyweight TSS available and that's about it. Assuming these would be fine but anybody with real world experience?
Federal TSS are great and the 3rd Degrees are good too. This is a pic of Gederal 3rd Degree 12 ga at 40 yards, 97 in 8" circle.
IMG_20170310_202847.jpg

Latest posts