Trying to hunt weather patterns

woodsman87

Trying to plan my hunts this weekend. The weather people have been all over the place, from cold Saturday morning and now hot rain and wind on Saturday and Sunday and cold on Monday. What I'm wondering is how often do you have luck on these strong south winds with a front a couple of days away? Im trying to be more conservative this year and not just go no matter what. I also don't get to go much as it is so I will probably go anyways. I know there are always exceptions.
Just wondering what yalls experiences are for weekends like the one coming up. Thanks

woodsman87

Usually pre front hunts are good, but it seems like the ones that involve southerly winds are no good. I do not keep a journal, just going by memory. I have killed one good buck on a hot windy day, but I think it certainly isn't the norm.

Urban_Hunter

I know if it is a big front bringing wind and rain, the woods will look like walmart before a big snow. Deer running everywhere as if when the storm's over there will never be bread and milk again (acorns).

BSK

woodsman87 said:
What I'm wondering is how often do you have luck on these strong south winds with a front a couple of days away?

Very poor results in the strong South or Southwest winds pre-frontal passage. Exceptional results the two days after the front passes.

Boll Weevil

Just today I pulled up the forecast and an aerial of the farm to start considering which stands might work for this weekend. First consideration was wind with the knowledge that I might have to actually move during a sit as the front rolls through and the wind shifts.

Weekends like this one I plan on being really adaptive and probably sitting stands that are more observational. The goal this weekend might be less about killing and more about gathering a little intel. Still real good stands, but if I gotta move I won't hesitate.