Truly Large Deer, 150"+

CBU93

For those that have killed truely large bucks, 150 inches or better...what is your story? I am not one and don't ever expect to be, but figured some good info may come from those who have.

What was the habitat? Weather condition? Stage of the rut? Weapon? Ladder stand, climber, lock on, box blind? Up close short range or long distance rifle shot? Time of day? Did you know he was there or pure blind luck? Did you have trail cam pics? How remote were you, as in how far from human activity were you when you killed him?

The devil is in the details.

Jon54

I have a 143 8 point and I doubt I'll ever kill a bigger one. It was the second Saturday of the rifle season, a day much like today. I was hunting a brand new spot that was easy to get to and out of because I had to be home early. I was 150yards from Highway 64 in a tripod stand on a bean field. I had no idea how big he was till I walked up on him and then wondered whose deer it was.

He was about 150 yards away and simply stuck his nose of of a thicket. Shot him in the brisket with my 7 mag and thought I'd missed. I finally noticed some vines shaking back in the woods where he'd piled up. My back still hurts from pulling him into the truck alone.

Attachments

• E9611BA4-71F3-4FB4-BED2-ADF427D8F37E.jpeg
    E9611BA4-71F3-4FB4-BED2-ADF427D8F37E.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,026

tickweed

I have been very blessed I've taken two in West Tennessee with a rifle and one in Illinois with a bow. I just saw this post I'll try to post some pictures at a later date. It's a great thrill to take an above-average deer. But coming from an older Hunter, don't make the mistake of letting yourself get wrapped up and just hunting high-scoring deer. You lose out on what hunting is really all about. Just enjoy being there if you kill a big one that's great if not you're blessed all the same. I hope all of you can ones I kill the buck of your dreams

redheadshooter

tickweed":259ub8zz said:
I have been very blessed I've taken two in West Tennessee with a rifle and one in Illinois with a bow. I just saw this post I'll try to post some pictures at a later date. It's a great thrill to take an above-average deer. But coming from an older Hunter, don't make the mistake of letting yourself get wrapped up and just hunting high-scoring deer. You lose out on what hunting is really all about. Just enjoy being there if you kill a big one that's great if not you're blessed all the same. I hope all of you can ones I kill the buck of your dreams

Way to be humble big fella. We all know who the best is. I've never seen the Illinois deer I don't believe.

Ahuntin1

There is more than one key to killing a buck over 150". Luck can play a big part. That is how I killed my first big buck. I had hunted a farm for a few years in high school and college when I killed a 166" 9 point. I did know that there were big bucks there. I had even seen one a few years before. This was prior to me having trail cameras. I did not know about the buck I killed. He is still my best to date and I think he looks better than his score. I would say that luck played a part in that deer, but knowing that big deer where in that area and the fact that I hunt very hard also played a role. The biggest role in that deer was pulling off the shot once things fell into motion. I was hunting in a climbing stand in a thicket. A coyote chased him in from behind me and he took a hard right. I had to stand up and shoot behind me to my right. He turned a hard left after the first shot and I flung two more shots at him. My remington 7400 got a workout. One of the shots hit a small tree and exploded it. The other two hit in the vitals. He made it less than 100 yards. I was hunting in the right place, but it also took luck and shooting skills to bring that deer home. I have killed a good handful of great bucks since I killed that one in 2002. Two more have been over 160". I focus on hunting where there are big deer. I run a ton of cameras on a multiple farms. I have to work hard to get permission to hunt those farms. I don't waste my time hunting a farm if I do not know about a good buck being in the area. I do hunt hard and often, which is tough since I own a small business now and it takes a lot of time. I also hunt smart. I don't do stuff that takes the odds out of my favor like hunt the wrong wind, wear smelly clothes, fill up the gas tank on the way, ride my four wheeler, take my buddies hunting all the time, etc. Unfortunately, I probably do not realize some things I have done that have been helpful.

luvtohunt

Only killed one. We had no pictures of him. I saw him at 12:00ish PM on 11/23 with a couple of does on my way in for an evening hunt. The next morning I set up on a rubline/trail real close to where I saw him. It is a rubline/trail that I know big deer have used for years. It is almost like it is passed down from generation to generation. 15 minutes after shooting light he came in on a string (I think my hunting partner might have bumped him too). It was indeed luck, but having the knowledge of the trail increased my odd. 159-6/8" gross.

I was in a climber. It was short range. I was setup for what I thought was a favorable wind (wind was N-NE at about 10MPH or less from memory), but he was almost downwind of me when I shot. I ride a four wheeler, but park a long way from my hunting spots...always. I try to be scent free as much as possible...clothes stay in bins in truck.

landman

Jon54":19fnibrp said:
I have a 143 8 point and I doubt I'll ever kill a bigger one. It was the second Saturday of the rifle season, a day much like today. I was hunting a brand new spot that was easy to get to and out of because I had to be home early. I was 150yards from Highway 64 in a tripod stand on a bean field. I had no idea how big he was till I walked up on him and then wondered whose deer it was.

He was about 150 yards away and simply stuck his nose of of a thicket. Shot him in the brisket with my 7 mag and thought I'd missed. I finally noticed some vines shaking back in the woods where he'd piled up. My back still hurts from pulling him into the truck alone.

One fine buck

MUP

tickweed":18i0hx3v said:

^^^This :)

Os2 Outdoors

Re: Truly Large Deer, 150"+

I've killed five 150" plus bucks with Archery.

The main thinh they all had in common was 3 things, near the rut, very low pressure, and near the thickest stuff around for several square miles.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

Os2 Outdoors":2znlwwy8 said:
I've killed five 150" plus bucks with Archery.

The main thinh they all had in common was 3 things, near the rut, very low pressure, and near the thickest stuff around for several square miles.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good info Matt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

I have killed one 10pt here in Mid TN that went 152". He was pushing a fawn on 11-4-16. I ran 10 trail cams on this 400 acre farm for 3 years previous and never knew he was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts