Trophy Hunting In Tn

muddyboots

Wow. I too would have thought ur area was better than that. What I call my bad lease kills 120s every year. On my good lease we kill 130s most every year.[/quote]

Is that EACH hunter kills 130s most every year, or SOME hunters kill 130s? That's pretty impressive. I counted less than 15 bucks 130 or better on Ames Plantation's site out of 115 hunters last year. Better hang on to those leases.[/quote]

it's basically 5 members and family. Great area. Yes good lease. I honestly don't know if I'd keep hunting deer if I lost that lease. No every hunter does not kill a 130 every year but usually 1 or 2 get killed a year the last 4 yrs by the members collectively.

fairchaser

Reading many of these responses I began to wonder about point creep. Not the kind discussed in the thread about drawing a tag for PI, but the kind hunters tend to do when it comes to scoring bucks. The differences between 120 and 130 is only 10 inches but a huge difference on top of a deer's head. I won't mention names, but some are prone to exaggeration. BSK is one who is always very realistic when he discusses scores. But others are not. I blame this on deer hunting shows mostly that often puff up their kills. One thing I've learned since joining Ames is that my perceptions get reduced to reality very quickly on that concrete pad. So whenever an Ames member discusses scores of dead deer, it's a real score and not an estimate. Of course, what anyone sees running through the woods and not killed can be anything you want. For my own edification, whenever a bucks score is mentioned, if it's a provable and verified, could you put brackets [130] around it?

muddyboots

I agree fair chaser. Lots of tv deer are 115 to 125 and the call them 140. Annoying to say the least. Dirty hands I looked back thru my pics and I don't have any velvet pics of 130 deer that we have killed so they could be verified.

landman

I think pockets of different county's hold better bucks than the rest of the county, superior genetic pockets
You may call them. Produce better deer year after year, I've seen them in parts of KY too, Montgomery and Stewart counties in TN have them. Killing a 120" or better deer yearly in those pockets by the same
hunters happen yearly. But then for some they desire to "move up" size of deer and may
Not go yearly, say to a 130" buck, but for many that happens every year too, for at least one of
their tags.

I'm sure many will say No Way, but why do you see hunters wanting leases in the Indian Mound
area of Stewart county? I could lease those all day long at $15/acre

And yes I know how to properly score a deer, and it's a yearly thing for a 170" Gross buck to be killed
in that pocket. A we have an official B&C GW that's a scorer too.

I also feel many get confused with the 2-3 scoring systems, when I talk score its gross and on P&Y/B&C
net belongs in the boat.

Mike Belt

A 130" buck is a really nice deer; usually an 8 pointer with up to 10-12" tines and fair mass situated on a 16-20" spread. An older buck with a rack like that may be topped out while a younger buck (2.5-3.5 years old) may put on up to 25 more inches. There are exceptions but this is a basic average. Every time I see a younger buck like that I always wonder what he might be down the road.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
dirtyhands":1zmpj64x said:
Will someone please post a pic of a verified 130" Deer? I honestly don't know what that looks like.

This one is 140 1/8th. Non-typical cause someone shot him in the head with a load of #7 bird shot a year or two before I killed it.

Hunter 257W

fairchaser":njf5qogh said:
Reading many of these responses I began to wonder about point creep. Not the kind discussed in the thread about drawing a tag for PI, but the kind hunters tend to do when it comes to scoring bucks. The differences between 120 and 130 is only 10 inches but a huge difference on top of a deer's head. I won't mention names, but some are prone to exaggeration. BSK is one who is always very realistic when he discusses scores. But others are not. I blame this on deer hunting shows mostly that often puff up their kills. One thing I've learned since joining Ames is that my perceptions get reduced to reality very quickly on that concrete pad. So whenever an Ames member discusses scores of dead deer, it's a real score and not an estimate. Of course, what anyone sees running through the woods and not killed can be anything you want. For my own edification, whenever a bucks score is mentioned, if it's a provable and verified, could you put brackets [130] around it?

Are you saying deer hunters would lie like common fishermen to one-up the next guy?!? Perish the thought! :mrgreen: For what it's worth, I agree. A 130 inch buck is and always will be the exception in TN. Some apparently don't understand or want to accept the bell shaped curve as it applies to distribution of values in a total population. Sure if you are measuring a large enough population (the whole TN buck herd) then even that tiny percentage that are over on the right hand side of the curve( with a high antler score) may be a big number of deer but that doesn't change the fact that they are a tiny percentage.

I have yet to get a trail camera picture of a buck over about 110 inches and even that might be too high. Certainly if we are talking Net score it is. And this is with year round cameras out since December 2005. I'd love to have some of the bucks you guys are so disappointed with. And my deer are in a virtual agricultural row crop heaven.

Mike Belt

Just to set the record straight...I don't think people are disappointed in 120" deer. Those that let them walk are simply waiting on something larger. In fact, most probably appreciate seeing as many 120" bucks as they can. That bodes well for seeing a few more that make it beyond that point.

dirtyhands

TNGunsmoke":1bce1bg8 said:
dirtyhands":1bce1bg8 said:
Will someone please post a pic of a verified 130" Deer? I honestly don't know what that looks like.

This one is 140 1/8th. Non-typical cause someone shot him in the head with a load of #7 bird shot a year or two before I killed it.

I like it. He's got character and a story.

muddyboots

Here's one

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,286

Latest posts