Trophy Hunting In Tn

BSK

Mike Belt":2sprsau2 said:
BSK...I would have thought your portion of Montgomery County fared a little better than that. I've been in Ames now for 10 years and could have taken multiple bucks scoring 120 every year. I guess that's the difference in a management philosophy.

Differences in habitat. I'm in Humphreys County, and a lot of Humphreys County is ridge-and-hollow hardwoods. That habitat doesn't grow many large antlers. HOWEVER, Humphreys County does have the very productive agricultural bottomlands along the Duck and Buffalo Rivers. Those ag bottoms produce the occasional top-end deer. In and around those big ag bottoms is where most of the 150-160 class bucks taken in Humphreys County come from.

BSK

muddyboots":86qpioh8 said:
it's basically 5 members and family. Great area. Yes good lease. I honestly don't know if I'd keep hunting deer if I lost that lease. No every hunter does not kill a 130 every year but usually 1 or 2 get killed a year the last 4 yrs by the members collectively.

But there's my point. How often does a specific individual hunter kill a 120+ buck on your lease? Having those size bucks to kill every year and actually killing them are two different things. I have at least one 140+ buck on my property every year (and sometimes more than one), but that buck rarely gets killed.

But again, much comes down to how someone defines "realistic."

muddyboots

BSK":cc19v2no said:
muddyboots":cc19v2no said:
it's basically 5 members and family. Great area. Yes good lease. I honestly don't know if I'd keep hunting deer if I lost that lease. No every hunter does not kill a 130 every year but usually 1 or 2 get killed a year the last 4 yrs by the members collectively.

But there's my point. How often does a specific individual hunter kill a 120+ buck on your lease? Having those size bucks to kill every year and actually killing them are two different things. I have at least one 140+ buck on my property every year (and sometimes more than one), but that buck rarely gets killed.

But again, much comes down to how someone defines "realistic."

3 of us kill them every year.

BSK

muddyboots":3p365nvp said:
3 of us kill them every year.

Three hunters each killing a 120+ buck every year is VERY impressive indeed! Sounds like a great area (as well as skilled hunters).

My place almost always has a 140+ buck each year, so in theory a buck like that is possible each year for someone. However, rarely does anyone ever kill that buck. For me, that takes it off the "realistic" list and puts it on the "a couple of times in a lifetime" list. We'll have a couple 120+ bucks each year, but generally just one of those bucks will get killed between 4 or 5 hunters. For me, that puts that caliber buck on the "once every couple of years" list, not because they only exist that infrequently but because hunters have had such a difficult time killing them.

muddyboots

BSK":1izrx9zt said:
muddyboots":1izrx9zt said:
Three hunters each killing a 120+ buck every year is VERY impressive indeed! Sounds like a great area (as well as skilled hunters).

My place almost always has a 140+ buck each year, so in theory a buck like that is possible each year for someone. However, rarely does anyone ever kill that buck. For me, that takes it off the "realistic" list and puts it on the "a couple of times in a lifetime" list. We'll have a couple 120+ bucks each year, but generally just one of those bucks will get killed between 4 or 5 hunters. For me, that puts that caliber buck on the "once every couple of years" list, not because they only exist that infrequently but because hunters have had such a difficult time killing them.

Wow. I see what u are talking about.

Latest posts