Training a pup

osduck5

I don't know much about coon hunting except I sure had a great time with my grandpa back when I was a youngster but I have a pup that someone gave me and according to the vet, it is a black and tan coon hound pup. Right now he is usless except for eatting everything he can get his mouth on an playing with the kids. Question is, at what age should he start training. How is best way to train him? Like I said, only coon hunting I have done was back about 30 years ago with my grandpa and I was just along for the memeories!!!!

seq.buck

4 to 8 months is the best i aint hunted in a while but i always had good luck with training dogs.What i would do is when trappin season comes around trap u a coon put in front of the pup and see what it will do and if it dont do nothin go get a dog that will and let him watch the dog and u pet em the dog barkin up usally they will catch on, then i would take it hunting with older dogs and if he dont go in their dont force him and when the dogs tree and he wont tie him back and praise the dogs that r and let em watch but always fool around with your pup with a drag atleast twice a week till he starts goin in their when he starts goin in their and treein u know u did something good it always fun to watch a young hound mature into a huntin dog especially when they start clickin good luck man if u have anymore question just pm me

Darkthirty II

When I was doing it, I found the best way was to start the pup with a old, deer broke, slow trailing but hard treeing dog. For some reasons the pups took better to a old female. We would always try to get the pups real fired up at the tree. Let the pup mouth the coon and get real excited. A lot of times it would'nt take but 2 or 3 trips and the pup would start opening on the tree. If the dog has it, most of the time the trailing part would just come, the more you took it. Sometimes you would go for a month or two, and then one day, it seemed as if, something would just click with the dog, and from then on, it was just a matter of experience. A lot also depends on bloodlines. I have seen 6 month old pups tree harder than some broke dogs. Last time I went, one pup got run over after being at the tree for an hour and was coming back(she was a heck of pup with good prospects and due to terrain, we had trouble getting a signal from the tracking collar), and in the same trip, another broke dog fell 30 feet out of a tree (a big popular had fell into the forks of a huge oak, and the dog trailed the coon right up the laid over tree). I retired from coon hunting after that night.

seq.buck

whats that supposed to mean man u dont think i know what im talking about i was raised into coon huntin thats all i ever did when i was little with my grandpa ive owned a bunch of dogs and usally can tell wich one will make it theirs a difference in a coondog than a hound i know that from experiecn

Darkthirty II

Seq. buck, you hit the nail on the head. There are lots of guys out there with "coon dogs". But there are very few real coon hounds out there. We once took a guys money who was owner of a state champion dog. His dog would run the fire out of a deer until he struck a coon and then he would look like a 20,000 dollar dog, and thats how he beat a lot dogs in competion. One night we turned out our dogs with his in a group of 4 or 5 deer, our dogs went thru the deer and found a coon, his hit the deer and treed about 3 miles from where we turned out. We proved our point and he had bet us 50 bucks that his dog didn't run deer. I'll give credit where its due, and that dog was a heck of a deer hound. LOL.

InfoMan

seq.buck

What cruff10 is alluding to is that it is illegal to trap a coon and turn it loose in front of a dog.

Should I say it????? Why not.

If you have questions about that call your TWRA Regional Office.

cruff10

InfoMan said:
seq.buck

What cruff10 is alluding to is that it is illegal to trap a coon and turn it loose in front of a dog.

Should I say it????? Why not.

If you have questions about that call your TWRA Regional Office.

I knew I would not take you long.....

Latest posts