Trail cam help

Speedwell-Hunter

I have 5 tactacams and 2 bushnell. Both have worked very well for me. The busnell takes better pictures. But not by a lot. If money isn't a factor spartan or reconyx. Bushnell are 2 years old. Tactacams about 6 months. At the end of the day they are 100 dollar cameras. While I would say that's cheap it isn't expensive either. I don't have their cell cameras but I am highly impressed with my brownings have 5 regular cameras and they take great pictures. Will be looking into their cell cams just know that their app wasn't that great from what I heard but have zero experience with the cell side of them. Stay away from spypoints! The rest there will always be a lemon here and there.
Agreed

Speedwell-Hunter

I like the Spartan cell cams but they are much more expensive than the Tactacams.
Ive got a good write up in my posts on Spartan cams

Very $

I have figured out how to get more data out of them by lowering the amount they take pictures and switching cameras from video to photo

I do really enjoy them now

Running 2 full time

TheLBLman

I have figured out how to get more data out of them by lowering the amount they take pictures and switching cameras from video to photo

Exactly.

For me, the main attraction of cell cams is eliminating the need to visit the cam sites on a regular schedule, whether that be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc. The less a cam site visit is required, the better. A near equal benefit is getting the pics sooner instead of a week or two later.

But when set to video mode, the more practical (where data is reasonably limited monthly) cell "plans" can be quickly used up before a month ends. Using video mode in cell cams will necessitate a more expensive monthly service plan than was otherwise necessary.

Then, in video mode, batteries die in a matter of weeks (or days) instead of months.
IMO, video mode is best reserved for non-cell cams, albeit there are exceptions.

Another "trick" to significantly increase battery life with cell cams, is programming them to take less pics (requiring flash) during the night. I have many my cell cams set to trigger as often as every 1 second taking 3 pics per triggering during the day; but then the settings change to every 30 seconds with 2 pics per triggering during the night.

In order to make these changes twice daily, the cams' programming needs to reliably work. The Brownings will re-program correctly @ 90% of the time, only not if too many changes are made simultaneously. The Ridgetecs are closer to 100% no matter how many changes at once. The Tactacams are a crap shoot.

Just keep in mind the biggest battery drain of cell cams is usually the frequency of uploads, number of pics/videos uploaded, followed by nighttime flash. Your overall settings effect every one of these factors.

Then, if you set your cell cams to "instant" uploads (per each triggering event) rather than "scheduled", that "instant" gratification will greatly cut your battery life. I usually set my Brownings to upload 6 to 8 times daily. Most of my Tactacams will only allow either up to 2 times daily (4 with the latest "pro" model) or instant. The Ridgetecs have no limits, totally up to the user as to frequency of uploads.

Unless used more for security than wildlife, I typically don't need nor want "instant" uploads in the middle of the night. But do sometimes switch over to "instant" during the day, scheduled at night, and again, making such changes twice a day requires cell cams that are reliable to actually make those changes (and make them timely, not 24 hrs later).

Speedwell-Hunter

Exactly.

For me, the main attraction of cell cams is eliminating the need to visit the cam sites on a regular schedule, whether that be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc. The less a cam site visit is required, the better. A near equal benefit is getting the pics sooner instead of a week or two later.

But when set to video mode, the more practical (where data is reasonably limited monthly) cell "plans" can be quickly used up before a month ends. Using video mode in cell cams will necessitate a more expensive monthly service plan than was otherwise necessary.

Then, in video mode, batteries die in a matter of weeks (or days) instead of months.
IMO, video mode is best reserved for non-cell cams, albeit there are exceptions.

Another "trick" to significantly increase battery life with cell cams, is programming them to take less pics (requiring flash) during the night. I have many my cell cams set to trigger as often as every 1 second taking 3 pics per triggering during the day; but then the settings change to every 30 seconds with 2 pics per triggering during the night.

In order to make these changes twice daily, the cams' programming needs to reliably work. The Brownings will re-program correctly @ 90% of the time, only not if too many changes are made simultaneously. The Ridgetecs are closer to 100% no matter how many changes at once. The Tactacams are a crap shoot.

Just keep in mind the biggest battery drain of cell cams is usually the frequency of uploads, number of pics/videos uploaded, followed by nighttime flash. Your overall settings effect every one of these factors.

Then, if you set your cell cams to "instant" uploads (per each triggering event) rather than "scheduled", that "instant" gratification will greatly cut your battery life. I usually set my Brownings to upload 6 to 8 times daily. Most of my Tactacams will only allow either up to 2 times daily (4 with the latest "pro" model) or instant. The Ridgetecs have no limits, totally up to the user as to frequency of uploads.

Unless used more for security than wildlife, I typically don't need nor want "instant" uploads in the middle of the night. But do sometimes switch over to "instant" during the day, scheduled at night, and again, making such changes twice a day requires cell cams that are reliable to actually make those changes (and make them timely, not 24 hrs later).
Also , when you are new to cameras you want that video

I had video mode on all because it was novel

Now photos only, cannot afford video anymore lol

TheLBLman

I had video mode on all because it was novel
Indeed!
Fun to watch & hear the video clips!
But EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMPTIVE to review those video clips!

Still, pun intended, the image quality remains higher with still pics.

I utilize the "field scan" mode (with still pics) on my Ridgetecs a lot.
I can evaluate antlers at over 200 yards in a field with those pics (better than video mode).
"Field scan" is simply programming the cam to take a pic (non-triggered) at scheduled intervals,
such as every 5 minutes, all day long. I can typically review a day's field scan pics in about the same amount of time it takes for only a couple 20-second video clips.

Field scan is mainly a useful feature in large fields, or in places where you can see things (and expect to see things) well beyond the triggering range of the cam. It is not a feature one would typically use in the woods, or over scrapes, salt licks, trails, etc.

DMD

Will these transmit pics to your computer, or just to your phone?
(Reason I ask, is because the description only said to your phone.)
Most cell cams will do both (simultaneously).
I dunno. I just have them transferred to my phone. I can upload the ones I'm interested to my computer from my phone. Good question. I'll check into it.

Speedwell-Hunter

Indeed!
Fun to watch & hear the video clips!
But EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMPTIVE to review those video clips!

Still, pun intended, the image quality remains higher with still pics.

I utilize the "field scan" mode (with still pics) on my Ridgetecs a lot.
I can evaluate antlers at over 200 yards in a field with those pics (better than video mode).
"Field scan" is simply programming the cam to take a pic (non-triggered) at scheduled intervals,
such as every 5 minutes, all day long. I can typically review a day's field scan pics in about the same amount of time it takes for only a couple 20-second video clips.

Field scan is mainly a useful feature in large fields, or in places where you can see things (and expect to see things) well beyond the triggering range of the cam. It is not a feature one would typically use in the woods, or over scrapes, salt licks, trails, etc.
This is true as well, completely agree, the time to review video clips takes too long and the utility is not much. I have realized the video portion is only good for security and getting tags off a car. Everything you have said I agree with. I will look into the field scan mode, that is a fantastic idea, thank you for mentioning it, never knew about it!

ttf909

I had a terrible experience with Tactacam - both product and Customer Service. I'll never recommend or use another product of theirs again.

I would also recommend against Cuddeback. I most recently replaced a multi-camera Cuddeback Cuddelink system with WiseEye cameras. So far I have been very pleased.

I have no experience with Reconyx, Spartan, or Ridgetec.
Got one and setup is awful .

TheLBLman

Having used a variety of brands, the 1st setup with any brand has been awful for me.
2nd time is usually much easier.
I've learned it's usually easier to just call their tech support for help the 1st time.

As to the ones I'm currently familiar, all seem easy now, but somewhat different process with each brand.

Also, things typically don't happen "instantly" with the setups.
You can do everything correctly, but may not know for you have until after a few hours have passed.

ttf909

Having used a variety of brands, the 1st setup with any brand has been awful for me.
2nd time is usually much easier.
I've learned it's usually easier to just call their tech support for help the 1st time.

As to the ones I'm currently familiar, all seem easy now, but somewhat different process with each brand.

Also, things typically don't happen "instantly" with the setups.
You can do everything correctly, but may not know for you have until after a few hours have passed.
That was the wise eye. I should have mentioned

T2D2

I would agree with TheLBLman that 1st time setup usually has its hiccups, but WiseEye's customer service team is the most responsive/informative company I've dealt with when it comes to trail cams. I found it much easier than the Cuddelink & the cell signal is the strongest I have had with any camera I've tried.

Let me know if I can assist. I've got no affiliation with WiseEye, but am happy to help any way I can or direct you to someone at the company who's been helpful to me in the past.

Latest posts