Traditional Kill?

eddie c

Re: Traditional Kill?A

I haven't but have thought about it. I don't know how well I could knap out a head. I've thought about trying to make a cane arrow also.
I have several items on my traditional bucket list. one of those is to make a selfbow at the TN Classic and hunt with it.

Smo

It's on my list of too do's.

I've got a Friend who knaps flint heads.

He's better at it than our Forefathers. LOL

I'm sure a Guy or Gal would have to work on it to get a stone head to fly well .

What I'm thinking is shooting at a downward angle and limit the distance to 10 to 15 yards.

I think that would be doable .

eddie c

oh, it's doable. I have a friend in south TX that does it with hogs.

I know a guy that made a selfbow, cane arrows, trade points then took 2 gators. I watched him work on the trade points and arrows getting them setup to be able to use the float system.

from what I understand it isn't really all that hard to get stone points to fly within reasonable shot distance. what throws people off is trying to get the weight of the heads to match each other. people get it in their head that they have to match up each arrow with each other when what they need to do is to find the arrow/head combination with the bow.

eddie c

Smo":3bd2o25i said:
Trade points? Metal?

Yes. He cut them out of saw blades, I think. Stone on the gators would have been iffy. Pretty sure he has used stone on his deer a few times.

Smo

Here is a demo arrow I put together awhile back.

The points I picked up at a gun show several years back.

They have a 1" long shank on them and require a hole in the end of the shaft to mount.

This one I just threw together to see how it looked and how it felt.

It's made from a dowel rod which I would never try to shoot, even with my 40# pull stick bow.

I'm thinking of getting some cedar or fir shafts and putting a few together to start my journey on the way to using a stone
Point.

62_C007_CB_211_B_47_C7_8_BDE_445493_FE50_BE.jpg

2_EA389_FF_BDEC_49_CE_853_E_89_DDB1_FD7_E73.jpg

8_A5_D8083_C007_46_A0_AE0_A_99855_C3_F7_FDA.jpg

924_BE684_562_A_465_A_B4_A5_4833_EA811_DF6.jpg

eddie c

It's made from a dowel rod which I would never try to shoot, even with my 40# pull stick bow.

I know of some guys that do use the dowel sticks from a hardware store. you have to check them over just like any other shaft. a person has to pay attention to the grain of the stick, making sure the grain isn't cross-grained but running the length of the shaft.

some of these guys are using the dowels for small game hunting, using hex nuts or wing nuts for the heads. cheap enough that if it gets lost in the brush or under leaves, not big deal.

Smo

What I would be worried about is the nock splitting out.

I guess I could use a plastic nock , but then that wouldn't be very Traditional.

After deer season I'm going to take a better look at what my options are.

I'm thinking with a stone point I will need atleast 5" long fletching , which I'm going to mount straight as possible.

I was taught straight fletching creates less drag which will increase speed,...some.

I plan to use as large diameter shaft as I can get.

My thinking is, with a 40 pull bow , shooting at 15 yards or less the mass should help with penetration and stabilization over the short distance....

I have also thought about using a Hickory shaft , one like what used for a Traditional style muzzleloaders ram rod.

It would require a straight grain rod as well......

eddie c

ok, let's analyze this.: remember I don't consider myself an expert.

I guess I could use a plastic nock , but then that wouldn't be very Traditional.
don't overthink traditional. using plastic nocks shouldn't take away your fun. it would actually be safer.

I'm thing with a stone point I will need atleast 5" long fletching , which I'm going to mount straight as possible.

I was taught straight fletching creates less drag which will increase speed,...some.
I agree with the 5" feather. how ever, if you are going to limit your shot to15 yards, I don't think you will see enough in speed difference between the full helical and straight fletch to make a difference. with that being said, if you find the right shaft, straight fletch should work. I don't think the Indians worried about helical vs straight.

I wouldn't restrict myself to just a large shaft. at that poundage you may have trouble with good flight with a large shaft being too stiff. the stone point may limit you to the large shaft but be open to the smaller sizes.

again, i'm no expert, this is just my observation.

Smo

eddie c":1lvea4e6 said:
ok, let's analyze this.: remember I don't consider myself an expert.

don't overthink traditional. using plastic nocks shouldn't take away your fun. it would actually be safer.

If wound /wrapped properly I don't think the nock will be a problem.

Probably something I'll have to work out through trial and error.

I really want to stay as traditional as possible. I've killed several deer with a bow
Just not a traditional bow and arrow.

I'm thinking with a stone point I will need atleast 5" long fletching , which I'm going to mount straight as possible.

I agree with the 5" feather. how ever, if you are going to limit your shot to15 yards, I don't think you will see enough in speed difference between the full helical and straight fletch to make a difference. with that being said, if you find the right shaft, straight fletch should work. I don't think the Indians worried about helical vs straight.

Agreed at that distance probably won't matter much.

I wouldn't restrict myself to just a large shaft. at that poundage you may have trouble with good flight with a large shaft being too stiff. the stone point may limit you to the large shaft but be open to the smaller sizes.

I'm going to weigh a couple stone points I have when I get time to see what I come up with weight wise.
Then look at shaft sizes available for the heads weight.

again, i'm no expert, this is just my observation.

I'm no expert either, just looking for something different too do.

I haven't bow hunted in over 20 years but sure would like to take one with traditional gear.

Latest posts