New to Traditional... Help

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Ok, I really underthought this move but I decided to add a recurve to my arsenal. I really like the idea but am not adapting well.
I am very sight pin dependant and struggle to draw to the same point without the anchor points I use with compound bows. I practiced a lot (and decided that I was good enough for a 10 yd shot out of a ground blind (didnt realize that shot would be seated) overshot 3 different does. I practice but am not able to be confident that my draw length is consistent. Clearly there are a lot more variables than I have began to master.
Advice?

Shag

As Lost Lake said, try a clicker to help develop form. If you're more comfortable with pins, put a sight on it. If it'd help with anchor points, put an eliminator button on the string and use a mechanical release. There aren't any rules to shoot a stick bow. All forms of archery are always more fun when you're hitting the bulls eye. Do what you need to do to make it happen and have fun.

eddie c

What Shag said.
Stickbows have a commitment that compounds don't. That's practice.
As Safari said, Consistency. Very few people get it down pat in a few weeks or months, some years(me). But it's rewarding when you get there.

DC219

It took me a couple of years to become confident enough to hunt with traditional archery. Once I gained confidence, it was like rediscovering archery. Suddenly, you are deer hunting in its purest form and everything becomes a trophy. It took me way more commitment than a compound did. If I didn't shoot some arrows every day from about April through bow season, I could tell it. I really prefer 3D targets and tend to never quit practicing on a bad shot. (Superstitious I guess) Once I became competent, I typically only had to shoot about 10-20 arrows a day to maintain it. It's a mental game, so for me, I tend to hit a point of diminishing returns if I shoot too many arrows during practice. Be aware though, if you field- shoot beyond your limitations, the wound rate can go up. I've mostly returned to hunting with a compound in recent years, but still enjoy shooting traditional. Occasionally, I'll still like to give it a try.

EJ1

I'm new to traditional as well and thought a Bomar Nose Button would help with anchor. I use one on my compound it makes a big difference in my consistency

Outrigger

There is a lot to learn, and as mentioned above, it takes a lot of time and commitment. Just to scratch the surface, I will add that most new traditional archers tend to be over bowed. Make sure to start with a draw weight that your are very comfortable with. This will allow you to focus on form and technique much better than you will with a draw weight that stresses you to pull and hold. I recommend getting an inexpensive "low draw weight" bow to learn with and working up from there to a hunting weight (40 Lbs plus).

Latest posts