Traditional bow

tree_ghost

Fastest way to learn to be effective is to string walk as an aiming technique…be persistent this is a humbling endeavor…good luck!

Weegee

I got my first bow ever earlier this year: a 45# Fleetwood Edge takedown recurve. It's been fun and frustrating to learn how to shoot it. I have paid for a couple of lessons, which have been super helpful. If I can kill even one deer with it I'm gonna be beside myself. If not, it'll be good early season scouting.

david k.

If you are just starting out, don't 'over-bow' yourself by shooting more weight than you can comfortably handle...you won't practice as much and your form will suffer.

Check your draw length with a trad bow, don't assume that if you shoot a compound at 30" that you'll draw a trad bow to 30"...you may use a different anchor point and so your draw length may not be the same...

Once you know your draw length I'd I suggest looking for a bow that will hit low 40 lbs at your draw length.

Trad bows are usually measured for draw-weight at 28", I have one that was measured at 26" so just watch for the odd-ball like that. Then you can typically expect draw weight to increase by 3-4 lbs for every inch you draw beyond 28" and / or subtract 3-4 lbs for every inch you draw below 28"

And a trad bow with a 40 lb +/- draw weight shooting an an arrow in the 450 grain range with a good cut on contact broad head will blow through any deer in TN.

Smo

Here's mine it pulls 49# at full draw 31" Oxford cedar shaft.

A488C4E3-6E65-4447-BD83-4E2838EC09FC.jpeg

I haven't hunted with it yet but plan too…

It will shoot👍

5DA49CCF-A925-4D59-8F6B-E207CFEC746B.jpeg

142E74C6-50F7-4973-B218-AA8B3F5804EF.jpeg

I don't always shoot cedar arrows. 😎

Crow Terminator

Beware...it is addictive and fun!!! Compound archery had slowly took the fun out of shooting for me. To the point I just didn't want to shoot anymore. The bow shop I went to handed me a 30# Sammick Sage and some arrows to shoot one day and I ended up taking it home. I've had a hard time putting it down. A guy at work gave me a 45# recurve he had and didn't want but it is extremely hard for me to shoot for some reason. The 30# is fun but I wouldn't ever hunt with it. My arrows bounce off the target at anything past 25 yards. But it's fun just walking through and shooting stuff like random pine cones laying on the ground. Pull and shoot. The more you think about it the worse you shoot.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

I made my own bow last year and took a doe..by far the most accomplished hunt I've ever had. Built another 1 for this year, it's been crazy fun..video on sasquatch boogie outdoors. Let me know what ya think.