Traditional build thats been on the back burner

Wobblyshot1

I've been neglecting this one for quite some time but just recently started working on it again. When complete it should make a short, light and handy flintlock deer thumper. The stock is cherry with all hardware being iron. Provision for a sling will be fitted to it. The barrel is a hand swamped 25 1/2" .50 caliber slow twist rifling for patched round ball. Overall length is going to be less than 42". This is no particular copy of a rifle but is being built to emulate a transition from an early European jeager to a more American feeling style. Other particulars include a modified Siler lock, single let off trigger, iron sights, horn nose cap, and sliding wooden patch box. Hope you don't mind me sharing and thanks y'all for looking.

451LRML

Looks great. I like the wood patchbox and the color - what's the wood?
Interesting how the camera angle from your 1st post - the bbl looks normal length compared to the last, although you mentioned 25". You got the Jeager sytle nailed!

Wobblyshot1

451LRML":3kytptdf said:
Looks great. I like the wood patchbox and the color - what's the wood?
Interesting how the camera angle from your 1st post - the bbl looks normal length compared to the last, although you mentioned 25". You got the Jeager sytle nailed!

The wood is cherry stained using spray-on oven cleaner containing lye and then neutralized with a wipe down of ammonia and water. This gives it the rich red color. Finish was Chamber's oil and on the next to last application I added a little bone black to the oil filling in the low spots. I then rubbed this back on the last coat leaving the dark highlights.

I see what you mean about those pics but I promise you they are one in the same guns. This gun is actually a little shorter than a TC Omega.

451LRML

Not doubting same gun, just how the camera angle makes things look vs the eye.
I've always like cherry, they get richer in color over time..
Let us know how it shoots..

Latest posts