Trad rabbit hole….

TnTurk

Yep, I've been down that rabbit hole a couple of times. I bought one many years back because I thought that since I was such an accomplished bowhunter that I needed something "more challenging". :rolleyes: I shot it a bunch, thought I had it down and knew what I was doing, missed a good buck broadside at 12 yards. Literally threw it out of the tree. Went back to wheels for a couple more years after that. Then I climbed back down that rabbit hole, got a "better" bow because that was my problem the first time 😉. I shot it a bunch but couldn't get it to group and honestly looking back now, I was severely over bowed. Went back to wheels again. 😔
My last and final trip down the hole I tried several bows, settled on a bow weight that I like, played, tinkered, and really got to what works for me, not necessarily everyone else. I just really enjoy the way I bow hunt now. Stickbow, backpack stuffed with a ghillie suit, and a stool strapped to the pack. I can hunt anywhere I can find a little ground cover. Just the way I role.😁

CHRIS WILSON

Yep, I fell in. Not to bad but when you have a brand new compound laying around and you're more excited about a $150 recurve….. blows my mind. Didn't see this coming. 😂

Went down that rabbit hole for 20+ years. Shot competitively locally and with IBO and ASA for a good 10 years of that. It's fun and a great community of people. In the last few years, I haven't shot near as much as I use to. If you don't already have plans, be sure to make it to the Tennessee Classic, May 5-7, hosted by the Twin Oaks Bowhunters. One of the best traditional archery shoots you'll find in the South East. Typically plenty of vendors and just a lot of traditional archery related events going on all weekend.

https://www.twinoaksbowhunters.org/tennessee-classic

Shanman

Will definitely check that out, thank you for the link. No doubt there is more to it than I realized but just going to keep this endeavor fun, hopefully I can group tight enough for bow season, if not then I won't hunt with it.

Shanman

Yep, I've been down that rabbit hole a couple of times. I bought one many years back because I thought that since I was such an accomplished bowhunter that I needed something "more challenging". :rolleyes: I shot it a bunch, thought I had it down and knew what I was doing, missed a good buck broadside at 12 yards. Literally threw it out of the tree. Went back to wheels for a couple more years after that. Then I climbed back down that rabbit hole, got a "better" bow because that was my problem the first time 😉. I shot it a bunch but couldn't get it to group and honestly looking back now, I was severely over bowed. Went back to wheels again. 😔
My last and final trip down the hole I tried several bows, settled on a bow weight that I like, played, tinkered, and really got to what works for me, not necessarily everyone else. I just really enjoy the way I bow hunt now. Stickbow, backpack stuffed with a ghillie suit, and a stool strapped to the pack. I can hunt anywhere I can find a little ground cover. Just the way I role.😁
There is a lot to be said for keeping it simple and your style of hunting sounds like just that. The older I get the more simple I like things.

Shag

Definitely make it a point to go to the TN Classic! I've never shot there. I go just for the vendors. It's about the only place you can go to and put your hands on trad specific gear without having to order it. Had the pleasure to meet the late, great G. Fred Asbell there several times.

Traditional archery is a rabbit hole, for sure. I've had well over 100 bows in the past 12-14 years. Some high dollar customs. Some yard sale funds. I'm down to about 15 now. Mostly cheapies nowadays. But I still love them. My daughter has got the bug now too. So I'm seeing a few more bows in our future 😉

Grouse

It's a bad habit!
Screenshot_20221023-184629_Gallery.jpg

tonybart55

I started practicing in April of 2020 with a cheap ILF set up with the intentions to just swap to hunting weight limbs later. Ended up hunting with a hand me down Palmer Recurve from my father in law.

Didn't feel comfortable enough to hunt with it in 2020.

Took it out some in 2021 but never got any shot opportunities with it.

Finally this past season in October of 2022, I got my first recurve bow kill on a small 5 point buck, maybe no more than 1.5 years old, felt like the biggest deer I've ever shot lol it was 6 yards away and I was on the ground hiding in the brush with a 3d leafy jacket on.

I was mainly just having fun practicing back in 2020, but now I'm hooked on traditional bowhunting. I may take the compound out every now and again if I need an extra 10-15 yards of shot distance but it's all recurve and longbow now for me! Down the rabbit hole I go! Lol

Latest posts