Tough Juvi Hunt

tellico4x4

Had 5 youngsters at BHC this weekend, 2 killed & 1 missed. ESE wind, hot & windy really suppressed daytime activity. 3 of us didn't see a deer from stands yesterday morning & the other 2 saw 1 each.

Everyone was on plots by 2:00 PM and it was after 5:00 before first deer was seen. 7 year old Lucus killed a nice 7 point that still had velvet hanging on both sides. 16 year old Logan killed a great 4-1/2 yr old 8 point with 20" beams & 4.5" bases.

My 12 year old grandson got his first taste of missing. It was a 130" chocolate horn, big bodied 8 that I had seen a couple times bow hunting. Buck came to edge of plot at 5:30 on same trail I had previously seen him use. As before, he stops a few feet from plot & just gazes around. There is one for fawn on plot & she spooks because of him. When she leaves so does he. Grandson was devastated... I told him I thought buck would return if we didn't run out of daylight. Ten minutes later a young doe runs onto plot from trail buck was on. Told Kaden to get ready and buck steps almost to edge & works over a bush. He takes another step & is now broadside at 150 yds. Told him to shoot and of course I blinked when gun went off & only saw take one leap into briars then was gone. Hustled down there and no blood, no hair & I can't even find tracks where he tore out. Knew without a doubt of where standing because of bush he had rubbed. Rain immenant so started walking grids to try to pickup blood, nothing. Pines around this plot were thinned 4 years ago, so we took tractor this morning and started doing grids using Onx. Drove over 2 miles about 10 yds apart. 98% sure he missed as soon as I said take a deep breath and shoot, it was bam! Believe he rushed the shot. Time will tell as I'll be at camp most of next two weeks.

Kids hunted hard, played hard, eat well & good time had by all. Well maybe not so much Kaden right now, but it'll be okay.

All total we did see over 75 turkeys in two days including 5 gobblers & 1 Jake. Gobblers are unusual for us in fall as most migrate to bottoms off us.

Attachments

• IMG_20221030_162404.jpg
    IMG_20221030_162404.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20221030_162339.jpg
    IMG_20221030_162339.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

tellico4x4

I asked him what did we learn this weekend? He said that being nervous was scary!! Be that true, I told him that we learned to not shoot a deer on edge of plot where we can't see good reaction to shot. My fault, I made the call. Also told him that we had entire season ahead to hunt and just getting started.

batten_down

Great job getting the kids out there. Nice write-up too. Congrats to those who scored. And for those that didn't, I hope they stick with it and make something happen soon.

Latest posts