Top 10 deer in tn

DoubleRidge

There was a typical that netted 190 killed with a muzzleloader near me 5 yrs ago that I never saw or heard about since. Just vanished publicly.

Wow!....190 net typical is amazing.... actually in Tennessee that would be the new state record typical of all time....the current record of 186 1/8 has stood for many decades.....190 net typical is a world class whitetail.... truly an amazing animal.

recurve60#

Wow!....190 net typical is amazing.... actually in Tennessee that would be the new state record typical of all time....the current record of 186 1/8 has stood for many decades.....190 net typical is a world class whitetail.... truly an amazing animal.
I know. Local twra agent told me he scored it and legit. Friend of mine helped drag it out, then poof...gone like it never happened.

I am sooooo skeptical anymore about deer score "rumors". I don't think many hunters could field score (from stand) a B/C if it stood in front of them with a scorecard!

I've been scoring for B/C (and P/Y, and TnDeer registry) for several years now. After having my tape on MANY potential "Booners" exactly TWO made the book. One from Iowa, the other Kansas.

MANY have made the Registry and also P/Y.

A net score 160 is a rare find...ANYWHERE!!!

But thanks to you tube...many (I'm guessing not very experienced "Southern hunters") believe different.

A 140" NET score (Registry) Tennessee buck is a "Booner" to me. That is a GIANT for the South!

I agree that killing a high scoring buck gathers VERY unwanted attention.

And I speak from experience.

Kill a huge buck on a WMA, or piece of public, or leased land...and watch what happens.

Lease prices soar.

parking lots fill up!

You tube has proven this!

I generally wait several years before getting mine scored...AND I AM A SCORER!

BSK

A 140" NET score (Registry) Tennessee buck is a "Booner" to me. That is a GIANT for the South!
Damn straight! I've killed two in my life and they are BIG deer for the South.

But these days I never even calculate net scores, just gross scores. How much antler does it have? That's all I care about when it comes to score.

Me too Bryan. The old saying "nets re for fishes" holds true for me.
Net really only matters for the book.

And EVERYONE forgets about symmetry. NET KILLER!

But...it DOES generally mean a book typical is generally a BIG, BIG, set of antlers! (B/C, P/Y, OR Registry!)

BSK

Me too Bryan. The old saying "nets re for fishes" holds true for me.
Net really only matters for the book.

And EVERYONE forgets about symmetry. NET KILLER!

But...it DOES generally mean a book typical is generally a BIG, BIG, set of antlers! (B/C, P/Y, OR Registry!)
Absolutely agree on all points.

TheLBLman

To me, it is a combination of criteria creating the "trophy" aspect of any deer.
Some of my best trophies have been some old does, a couple of which cost me several trophy bucks over the years. Although no antlers to score, they were very special trophies.

As to those bucks, "score" is merely one of many criteria.
Age is very important to me, and with age, usually comes "mass".
A lower scoring buck with more "mass" usually is the better trophy to me.

And along similar thought to mass,
to me, usually, a 140" mainframe 8-pointer is a
far better trophy than a 140" mainframe 12-pointer,
as the 8-pointer will stand out due to his "mass".

If you really want to see a "massive" trophy buck,
get your hands on a 140" mainframe 6-pointer.

Last but not least, "history" with a particular buck
can add immensely to that buck's status as a "trophy" to you.

But as to ANY state's "Top 10", I suspect most that would be there, have never been "scored". This is the case whether we're talking TN, KY, IL, or whatever state.

TheLBLman

All this "score" talk reminded my of a very accomplished mature buck hunter up in Michigan many years ago. At the time a "hint" of his story came out, Milo Hansen had just killed the #1 Typical in North America, at least of documented net score. It was a pretty rack, pretty thin actually, and to me, paled in comparison to many mainframe 8-pointers scoring much less.

So, while all the magazine were doing stories on the Hansen buck, while Mr. Hansen was getting/giving all these endorsements, traveling road shows, then suddenly, "too much" of a story came out about a probably much more accomplished "nobody knew him" hunter in Michigan's backwoods.

As I remember it, the backwoods Michigan guy had a wall full of fully mature bucks making the "book", including one that net scored more than the Hansen buck! I heard the poor guy was paid a significant amount of money NOT to have this buck scored, even though it would have immediately become the new #1 Typical in North America.

I'm sure someone can now tell us "the rest" of that story :)
And maybe Michigan remains a bit of a "sleeper" state for "book" bucks
because fewer Michigan hunters dare officially have their bucks scored?

TheLBLman

Thanks for sharing, Andy!

Not mentioned in the above, but what I had heard from someone who seemed to know, Mitch was paid off quite a large amount of money, but the deal was, if he ever had his buck officially scored and/or continued telling his story, he would be in violation of the contract, and owe back all the money he had been paid.

"Contracts" like this happen all the time on a variety of issues, and I don't doubt for one second, something of this nature is what happened.

medic

When I killed my buck last year that was all the other lease members could talk about was what it would score, I hadn't even thought about the score because it was my buck of a life time with out the score. When the mount is finished I may have it scored, not sure. I have not found anyone in the Chattanooga area to score it if I decide to.

Rompola was discussed at length in OM school.
At some point in the discussion, if I remember correctly...
Bottom line...for whatever reason...he REFUSED to allow X-ray examination of mount!
End of story!

I have seen several bucks on different hunters walls that would be close to "book" score.

I don't know why someone would not want to honor an animal by entering what he grew. I am sure a few have to do with signing a fair chase affidavit. I'm guessing it's one thing to lie in a story, another to lie on oath.

I really don't care in the end...

For me, I'm guessing it's probably a matter of convenience.

BSK

I don't know why someone would not want to honor an animal by entering what he grew.
I guess each person is different with different motivations. I'm one of those "goal-oriented" people. I set a goal, work hard towards that goal, but once accomplished move on to a new goal. At one point, I dreamed of killing a buck that would make a record-book. ANY record-book. Then I killed a buck that made the TN Registry. Goal accomplished, move on to something else. I've killed another that would make the Registry. Did I enter it? Nope. Would I ever enter another buck in a record-book? Probably not, no matter how big. What would be the point? That's no longer of interest to me.

Headhunter

I am sooooo skeptical anymore about deer score "rumors". I don't think many hunters could field score (from stand) a B/C if it stood in front of them with a scorecard!

I've been scoring for B/C (and P/Y, and TnDeer registry) for several years now. After having my tape on MANY potential "Booners" exactly TWO made the book. One from Iowa, the other Kansas.

MANY have made the Registry and also P/Y.

A net score 160 is a rare find...ANYWHERE!!!

But thanks to you tube...many (I'm guessing not very experienced "Southern hunters") believe different.

I agree that killing a high scoring buck gathers VERY unwanted attention.

And I speak from experience.

Kill a huge buck on a WMA, or piece of public, or leased land...and watch what happens.

Lease prices soar.

parking lots fill up!

You tube has proven this!

I generally wait several years before getting mine scored...AND I AM A SCORER!
I have never cared about net score. Complete waste of time to me. I have always wanted to know the gross measurements.

The deer I mentioned was measured by an official scorer but the guy did not want to advertise it, actually there are many bucks in the area I hunt in KY that people have killed, but could care less about a record or score.

Quailman

I guess each person is different with different motivations. I'm one of those "goal-oriented" people. I set a goal, work hard towards that goal, but once accomplished move on to a new goal. At one point, I dreamed of killing a buck that would make a record-book. ANY record-book. Then I killed a buck that made the TN Registry. Goal accomplished, move on to something else. I've killed another that would make the Registry. Did I enter it? Nope. Would I ever enter another buck in a record-book? Probably not, no matter how big. What would be the point? That's no longer of interest to me.
BSK, I'm pretty much the same. I've been blessed over the years to have taken some really nice deer in TN and the midwest. Never entered a single one in the "record books" and really don't have any plans to in the future. I always score them for my own personal interest and that's about it. I've never been concerned about the "numbers". I am obsessed, however, with chasing mature deer!

My own goals every year are to take a mature buck and also fill the freezer with enough venison to last us through the year. I enjoy cooking wild game, and venison is a very important part of our diet.

TheLBLman

Rompola was discussed at length in OM school.
At some point in the discussion, if I remember correctly...
Bottom line...for whatever reason...he REFUSED to allow X-ray examination of mount!

For sure, Rompola was the type person most people would consider a "weird" guy.

I mean, how many people only work as hard as they can for 6 months each year, so they can then spend the next 6 months totally dedicated to hunting mature bucks, with a bow, on public land?

Some of us don't find this that weird, hey?

Initially, he may have felt insulted by the X-ray request.
Later, I suspect the X-ray issue became a part of his "contract" in that if he allowed the skull to be X-rayed, he would be liable for paying back the money many believe he was paid just to keep all this a mystery.

I do believe we will one day find out more about why and how the story was suppressed. My personal thinking is it was a free-range wild mature buck, as he had several others with similar antler characteristics (indicating the same local area lineage). It's certainly possible he was in violation of some game law technicality, such as hunting from an elevated position, either knowingly or unknowingly at the time of kill, but such could have been further reason he just shut up & disappeared.

BSK

My own goals every year are to take a mature buck and also fill the freezer with enough venison to last us through the year.
My goal is to kill a "good" buck each year. "Good" is definitely relative. Maybe it's an above average 3 1/2. Maybe it's any size mature buck. But I'm at the age where having fun with my family members is the best part of deer season.

I enjoy cooking wild game, and venison is a very important part of our diet.
I need to make "learning to cook wild game" one of my new goals. I'm a TERRIBLE cook. I bet I could burn water. I can't even fry an egg. But I really do want to learn how to use venison in ways beyond just browning ground meat for tacos or chili.

DoubleRidge

While I agree....mass is super impressive...and I love a big nasty antlers with tons of character points and stickers....but all my life I've heard "nets are for fishing"....and I get it. Nobody is a fan of deducting anything from a buck they have killed... totally understand.....but when you wrap your hands around a truly symmetrical typical set of antlers that are perfect....it's impressive....and rare....and that's what's impressive....the rarity.
I hear so often...."it's not about big antlers...it's about time in the woods with family" or "it's about providing meat for my family" or my all time fav "can't eat horns"......I say each too their own.... something different drives each of us...and that's cool.....but Ill never apologize for wanting to hunt big mature bucks that have above average antlers and I get excited when I see a rare buck that will score good....big main frame 10 pt that's very typical with little to no deductions....you bet that gets my fire going!.....fully mature big nasty 8pt with super mass and sticker points all jacked up with several deductions....of course that joker gonna get me fired up!...I like big mature bucks period....and I like seeing what big bucks score....but the score doesn't determine the success or joy of the hunt....it's just part of the story.

DoubleRidge

For sure, Rompola was the type person most people would consider a "weird" guy.

I mean, how many people only work as hard as they can for 6 months each year, so they can then spend the next 6 months totally dedicated to hunting mature bucks, with a bow, on public land?

Some of us don't find this that weird, hey?

Initially, he may have felt insulted by the X-ray request.
Later, I suspect the X-ray issue became a part of his "contract" in that if he allowed the skull to be X-rayed, he would be liable for paying back the money many believe he was paid just to keep all this a mystery.

I do believe we will one day find out more about why and how the story was suppressed. My personal thinking is it was a free-range wild mature buck, as he had several others with similar antler characteristics (indicating the same local area lineage). It's certainly possible he was in violation of some game law technicality, such as hunting from an elevated position, either knowingly or unknowingly at the time of kill, but such could have been further reason he just shut up & disappeared.

I remember the Rompola buck story when it first broke.... amazing deer no doubt ...just something has never set well with me about the story? And honestly I can't put my finger on it? I don't know why? And I hope the deer is real and I hope the full truth does come out.... truly a fascinating story.

But as for Rompola being paid off to keep his mouth shut....who paid that money and what was their motivation?....to make money off of the Hanson buck?
Wouldn't they have had the same opportunity to promote the Rompola buck, being it was bigger and killed with a bow in the states.....vs a buck from Canada that was killed on a deer drive with a rifle?....I don't know? But nothing fully adds up or makes sense?...one thing that does make sense....both are truly amazing animals....rare giants.

Latest posts