Too many doe??

G_Man

I've seen 9 doe so far today, 1 being a fawn. Trail cam has waaay more pictures of doe than bucks. The bucks I do get, are small 1.5 - 2.5 yr old. Should I shoot more doe to help even it out some? I've taken 2 so far this yr.

BSK

How many does to shoot, if any, is one of the most difficult questions to answer. If deer density is low, and the habitat can withstand more deer without over-browsing problems, then there is nothing wrong with protecting does and allowing the herd density to increase. However, if sex ratios appear skewed heavily towards females (in trail-camera pictures both night and day, NOT just from hunter observations), and you don't mind slowing or reversing herd growth, then shoot a few does. A more balanced sex ratio will cause bucks to be more active during daylight around the rut. However, starting to shoot does will reduce their daylight activity.

G_Man

Ended up seeing 13 I could identify. Plus some way off in the woods... One fawn. One button. One 2.5 buck. About 35 acres I hunt with couple hundred behind me (don't know if it's hunted), hundred or so on either side as well. I think a guy hunts a couple times a yr to my left.

I haven't seen anything special when it comes to buck size, but I'm wanting to manage what I have best I can.

Greg M

Welcome to the world of small land management. Hard to control what goes on around you. I have a small 22 acres with lots of pressure around me. Makes waiting for a mature buck almost futile. Do what you can, but with small land, it's a tough proposition IMO.

BSK

Greg M said:
Do what you can, but with small land, it's a tough proposition IMO.

Yes it is. Not only is it hard to make an impact on the local deer population, ANY harvest and hunting pressure concentrated in such as small area is quickly noticed and reacted to by the deer.

Crosshairy

In your position, I would avoid trying to influence the herd dynamics, because:
1 - the unintended consequence will be an education of the deer and a drop-off in sightings.
2 - you have given us data based on hunter observation, which is skewed by the difference in doe & buck behavior at this time of year (i.e. mature bucks are more nocturnal, anyway). In other words, you don't really have any solid data other than "does move around more than bucks in the daytime".

If you already know that adjoining properties don't get hunted much, then it's obvious where the deer are going to move, and your property is too small to give you a lot of options after they shift.

All that said, if I were in your spot and continued to see lots of does and no bucks *DURING THE RUT*, then I would be tempted pop a few extra does at the tail end of the season, just because you aren't as worried about deer education at that point and have to get your venison at some point.

In the meantime, you might evaluate some habitat improvements to do after the season that will improve your property's appeal for bucks for next year. You might have a property that holds more does, but doesn't have enough cover to satisfy a big buck. Consequently, your buck sightings might only be during the rut.

BSK

Crosshairy said:
All that said, if I were in your spot and continued to see lots of does and no bucks *DURING THE RUT*, then I would be tempted pop a few extra does at the tail end of the season, just because you aren't as worried about deer education at that point and have to get your venison at some point.

Very sound advice.

G_Man

Thank you for taking the time to help me out... I've been running cameras for a few months and 75-80% are pictures of does. Have a handful of bucks, 2 with a tiny bit of potential. I passed on one this evening actually! First time I've seen him in person

And I'm already planning on thinning out some woods as soon as season is over. Also planting another food plot on adjoining land. Have permission to. I'm really wanting to go door to door and ask if they mind me walking their land to see what they have so I can figure out what is missing from the habitat, and Incorporate that into what I do to my land.

My ultimate goal would be to get a professional land manager to help me organize a land management program and try to get people to sign off on it. Individually, we have smaller lots. 20 acres here n there... But all together, plus the unattended acres behind make for a big chunk of change.

Kinda got carried away there haha sorry. But thanks for the advice...

BSK

G_Man,

When it comes to holding deer on small properties, if it doesn't already exist, think "thick sanctuary cover." I would much rather have 10 acres of thick sanctuary cover than 10 acres of food plot.

hitek7

BSK said:
G_Man,

When it comes to holding deer on small properties, if it doesn't already exist, think "thick sanctuary cover." I would much rather have 10 acres of thick sanctuary cover than 10 acres of food plot.

Right in the center of your property...

Planking

hitek7 said:
BSK said:
G_Man,

Right in the center of your property...
Oooooooh yeah